Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 
zaichev

What is the "best" betta fish food?

I have Tetrabetta floating mini pellets and feed them 5 every three days. I'm starting to wonder if I'm under feeding the poor guys.

That aside, the first ingredients are wheat flour,fish meal, and wheat gluten... then potatoes.

I'd like to get them something better. Any advice?
zaichev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #2 
Roxy

New Life Spectrum is good. :)

They are easily obtainable at Petco.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #3 
tpocicat

Feeding them every 3 days is not enough. Most betta pellets say to feed them 5-7 every day. I usually split them and feed them twice a day. My bettas LOVE NLS ^. Mine also get frozen brine shrimp, black worms, daphnia when I can get them. I also feed them Atison's Betta pellets. I believe in giving them a variety.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Feeding them every 3 days is not enough. Most betta pellets say to feed them 5-7 every day. I usually split them and feed them twice a day. My bettas LOVE NLS ^. Mine also get frozen brine shrimp, black worms, daphnia when I can get them. I also feed them Atison's Betta pellets. I believe in giving them a variety.
Woops I didn't read the whole thing he posted...

Yeah, feeding once every 3 days is definitely not enough! D:
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Forget fancy packaging and name brands as some known brands like Hikari has been known to add "Wheat" as the main ingredient to some of their fish food lines.

Top tier ingredients should all be seafood based.....then focus on protein. Most quality mixes will have > 40pct protein

Last edited by scootshoot; 02-01-2012 at 01:16 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaichev View Post
I have Tetrabetta floating mini pellets and feed them 5 every three days. I'm starting to wonder if I'm under feeding the poor guys.

That aside, the first ingredients are wheat flour,fish meal, and wheat gluten... then potatoes.

I'd like to get them something better. Any advice?
There are differing opinions as to what is the best betta food. A lot of members like New Life Spectrum, which is not available in my area unless I order them off the web. I use Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. You want to try to find a pellet that lists some type of seafood as the first ingredient.

As for feeding, for bigger pellets use the 2-3 pellets 2x a day. For smaller pellets (like the ones I use) I suggest 3-4 2x a day. You also want to fast your betta one day a week.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #7 
bettalover2000

I feed my male Hikari bio-gold every day, tropical flakes,Aqueon pellets and freeze dried bloodworms on Saturday,then fast on Sunday. My female gets the same except she gets Aqueon instead of Hikari Is this enough? What should I do to give them a better diet?
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 
RedneckBettaGuru

I have looked all over for new life spectrum pellets, I cannot find them anywhere here at all or the Omega Betta Buffet. I did however find the aqueon pellets and my bettas love them. I usually give them 4 pellets twice a day M-F, satuday is four or five freeze dried bloodworms. Sunday they starve.
RedneckBettaGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 
ldoerr

I feed all of my bettas Aqueon Betta Pelets. I probably over feed because I go through 5 or 6 pinches of pelits every day for 7 bettas. The males probably get at least 10 pelits each a day. As for the females I just sprincle a couple of pinches of pelits in the tank each day and the girls get what they can before it sinks to the bottom of the tank where the Ghost Shrimp eat it up. (I have a ghost shrimp in with one of my males and the shrimp actually comes up to the surface and steals the food right out of the males mouth. This is one brave shrimp).
ldoerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #10 
Daisykd

So I bought some Omega One Shrimp Pellets today(I looked at the ingredients and saw a whole variety of fish listed plus a lot of protein) Has anyone tried this?
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote