Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 
EmilyN

Betta, RCS, and Glofish?

I'm planning a 10 gal community tank. I have my tank set to go, now it just needs fish.
So I was wondering if glofish would be okay with a male betta? I would like to get 6-8 maybe.
Also, when I add the fish to the tank, would it be better to add the betta first or the school of glofish?
EmilyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Glofish would be OK (sometimes they get nippy) with a betta, but not in a 10g. :P
They are actually a genetically modifed version of a danio so they need at least a 15 or a 20g.

There is lots of other fish you could add:
-4 cories (I LOVE those little buggers lol)
-6 pygmy cories
-6 neon tetras
-ember tetras
-5 harlequin rasboras
-maybe a trio of platys.
Cories or ember tetras are your best bet though. :3 I own rasboras, and they are very peaceful and have never nipped the guppies.

It's better to add the betta first. Usually you'd add least aggressive first, and then the most aggressive but you just want to make sure your betta isn't crazily aggressive. LOL Most bettas can tolerate tankmates, but some just dont.

Good Luck! :D

Last edited by MaisyDawgThirteen; 01-29-2012 at 07:50 AM.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Huh, I thought it was add betta last? So the betta views the other fish as "part" of the territory and not "intruders" to the territory?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

I personally add Bettas last, as they can be aggressive over territory and it gives the other fish time to settle in and know where to hide. That's if it's a docile fish you're adding. With glofish, I would add them last and Betta first but I wouldn't add glofish with Bettas personally.

The rasboras are a good addition, in the right numbers plus a Betta. Anymore than that and you're over stocking the tank. A few dwarf cories would be good with a Betta too. I personally avoid Tetras as they can be sketchy or nippy.

Glofish do need 15g+ tanks, they are active, require large groups and need the horizontal room to swim :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 
EmilyN

Ok so I think I'll get rasboras instead.
And I'm going to get the betta first but keep him in a different tank by himself temporarily so I can determine if he will be too aggressive for tank mates. If he is ok, I'll get the rasboras and let them settle in before adding the betta.
Would the RCS still be okay with them? (I forgot to mention them in my first post, but its in the title.) And when should I add them? First?
Thanks, every one, for your input!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I want to +1 the ember tetras or the cories/pygmy cories, and add the suggestion of 4 male Endlers. A massive splash of colour from 4 tiny, gentle fish. :)
And +1 on adding the betta last.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

RCS are hit and miss - they won't harm your fish, of course, but some bettas like to eat them. Others are fine with them. Plenty of hiding spaces are the key. They can be quite sensitive to nitrates, so don't add them til the tank is fully cycled. It doesn't really matter when you add them after that.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #8 
EmilyN

Thanks Bombalurina.
I like the idea of the Endlers. Very colorful fish!
Also, I was just looking at galaxy rasboras. I read that they are danios so would they need a 15g or would they be okay in a 10g? The website I'm reading about them on says 2.5 to 5g but I want to make sure thats right.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

They'd be ok in a ten gallon, no problems, but they do prefer (and live longer in) cooler water than a betta. They'd be no good in a 2.5, that's for sure. I wouldn't trust that site.
Was it you who educated me about that, Olympia? :)
Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You could do them in a 10gal. But think of it as keeping goldfish in warm water.. You wouldn't want to do that. Sena pointed this out to me, and I pointed it out to Bombalurina. xD
Also, they are rarely captive bred, so most are wild caught, or only a few generations captive bred, which makes them more sensitive since they haven't been made hardy over generations of captivity. Other danios have been captive bred over many generations and become more hardy to warm water, but these guys have only been in the trade about 5 years, and are difficult to breed. Stick with warm water fish :p
(on a side note, one of my dream tanks would be a coldwater tank with galaxy rasboras and hillstream loaches<3)
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote