Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 
TagniBetta

Exclamation Severe Betta Injury!! Help Immediately! >.<

I got home from work today, and I looked into Navine's (the betta) tank and didn't find him. So I set my stuff down and finally found that he had gotten sucked up by the filter! This one had come with the tank and it didn't seem to have bothered him before, so I let it run until I could generate the funds to get a sponge filter, or the like.

I'M FREAKING RIGHT NOW!
He has been crunched into a S shape, his tail is completely useless and torn to shreds, but he can use his front two fins to get around and does so.

I put 4ish tsp of AQ salt solution in there and lowered the water level to minimize his swimming needs. But I don't know what else to do! Is this too cruel to leave him like this?? Should I try to straighten him back out?? >.< I'm such a horrible betta-mommy T___T

Please give any advice you can, I will post the profile and pics in a sec.
TagniBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #2 
Badjer

From the sound of his injuries...I would definitely put him down. It sounds horrible, but the odds of him surviving with such injuries aren't good at all. Putting him out of his misery might be the kindest option.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 
TagniBetta

Unhappy Profile

Housing
What size is your tank? 5gal
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? ..yes..
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta: Floating Mini Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, once in the morning ( 1pellet) and once at night (one pellet)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Haven't yet, (got him last Saturday)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? planning on a 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
All parameters were as suggested on the forum when he was placed in the tank, haven't checked since then.
Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment ((This one killed me D: ))
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His body is in an S shape, Anal, Caudel, and Dorsal fins shredded..
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He will swim with just his ventral fins (front two clear ones), gills are normal, head will move normally, but when he tries to swim his whole body vibrates...
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I came home from work around 2:00p.m. Central Time
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have only used AQ salt solution
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Besides being a fussy eater, no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Normal age for being sold at the pet store
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 
TagniBetta

Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 
wolfiegreen

Oh yeah that's bad..... Its not just will he heal its also what quality of life will he have. In my best opinion i'm sorry but i believe you need to put him down.
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #6 
Badjer

Oh my gosh....definitely put him down. I'm so sorry this happened to you and him. Really putting him down would be the kindest thing you could ever do for him at this point...
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #7 
TagniBetta

I understand,, I just had to make sure there was no hope before I did... TT_____TT
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #8 
TonyK

If you can I would first try to put him in something where he doesn't have to swim much. If you still have the cup you got him in that would be great. Just somehow mount the cup inside your tank so the cup is in heated water. IMO bettas are pretty bulletproof and I have seen some come back when I didn't think they would. I would wait for a couple more opinions and if possible post a picture of him and the damage. I wish I could help you more but don't really know what to do.

If you plan on using that filter again I would definitely put some kind of sponge baffle over the intake. That will prevent any sort of accidents.

Please don't call your self a horrible Betta mommy. Accidents do happen. I'm sure you never thought the Betta would have been sucked up into the filter.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #9 
tpocicat

Before doing anything drastic, I would wait, he might straighten out. I'm a firm believer in where there's life, there's hope. If he doesn't straighten out in say 24 hours, then you can decide then IMO.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #10 
Badjer

Umm...idk if you can see the pictures Tony, but he isn't coming back from that. I can't even imagine all the internal injuries he must have.

But really Tagni, it's not your fault. Freak accidents happen, and bettas can be so unpredictable. By putting him down, you're being a great betta owner. Hang in there k?

Tags
filter, injury, severe, severe injury, torn to shreds