Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 
BudgetPhoenix

PH level off the charts

Ive had my fish and tank for almost a month now, I bought PH and ammonia meters yesterday. Accoring to the tester my PH level is off the freaking charts, the sensor color is blood red, much darker than the 8.2 sensor color on the meter. Ammonia is safe.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The pH isn't that bad IMO-but what you need to do if your Betta is having problems with the pH and/or hardness-is to get a liquid reagent type tester for pH, GH/KH-often the sensors that attach to the tank can give false readings on the pH based on how hard the water....

Generally you don't need to change or even worry about the pH and hardness with this species-they adapt to the harder, higher pH water and some tend to do better with the higher mineral content.....Sometimes with CT they can have ray issues with harder water-but health wise they are usually okay..

I have really hard water along with high pH.....well over 8 pH and over 300 on the KH/GH and all my Bettas do fine...I do have to lower the hardness and pH when I spawn Neon tetra-but not the Bettas.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote