Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 
Rennae

Smile New Betta and Tank. My First Betta :3

Well, I suppose calling him my first betta is sort of a lie. I had bought a betta previously, but had complications and within 5 days he passed away. Still unsure of the exact reasoning, but we think it may have been heart issues. He passed away on Saturday.

However, I purchased a new tank and today brought home my new Betta Condris I introduced him to his tank a few hours ago and he seems to love it. He's been swimming around exploring and being plenty active. And he usually always comes to the front of the tank whenever I come around :D

Here are some pictures of him and his tank. I'm hoping to take some better ones once the sun goes down so I don't have so much reflection.

Here he's about to swim behind his heater. He seems to love swimming around it.

And poking out from behind the heater now.

Here he is again around his heater.

And a full picture of his tank and setup.

The tank itself is an Aqueon Betta Bow 2.5. I really like the tank as the filter itself pushes the water gently over the water surface instead of falling down and causing current downwards. The heater is a little big, but I can't very well return so I made it work in that corner.

The tank is kept between 78 - 80 degrees by the heater, so it does what it needs to do.

So far I have high hopes with Condris. He's far more active than the previous Betta I had gotten, and he doesn't show any signs of having problems. So hopefully things will work out with him. ^.^

Once I take a few more pictures tonight once the sun goes down, I'll post some better shots of Condris for you all.
Rennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

Very nice tank and fish! He is very handsome!
a123andpoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 
Aitas

didn't you cycle your aquarium first?
Aitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #4 
Laki

Awesome tank and fish!! Looks like a nice addition! And I heard cycling anything under 5 g can be too complicated. Any sides of it, he's awesome!! And welcome!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 
Rennae

Okay, so I have found a problem with this tank and I need to figure out a solution! Here is a picture of the problem!

Okay, so as you can see, he got into that area that is circled!!! I know they jump, but I wasn't expecting that! The other thing is that even after I pushed him back in the water, he keeps going near the area and looks like he's going to jump back up again!! I need to figure out a way to block him from jumping up there. There is no water up there for him to get into and I'm afraid if I don't see him do it he will die up there! I don't need that again!

So does anyone have any ideas as to how I can keep him out of there? I'm thinking the yarn cross stitch plastic grates would work, but I'd need to figure out a way to cross the front without blocking his air supply and the water from going out.

So, ideas?

Edit:

Just as I post this, he does it again! Although this time instead of being half on the filter, he stays in that little trough area that's all black. When I went to push him in, he jumped back in the water himself without me touching him. HE'S A TROUBLE MAKER!!! And I love him so much!!! <3

Last edited by Rennae; 01-31-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #6 
Aitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennae View Post
Okay, so I have found a problem with this tank and I need to figure out a solution! Here is a picture of the problem!

Okay, so as you can see, he got into that area that is circled!!! I know they jump, but I wasn't expecting that! The other thing is that even after I pushed him back in the water, he keeps going near the area and looks like he's going to jump back up again!! I need to figure out a way to block him from jumping up there. There is no water up there for him to get into and I'm afraid if I don't see him do it he will die up there! I don't need that again!

So does anyone have any ideas as to how I can keep him out of there? I'm thinking the yarn cross stitch plastic grates would work, but I'd need to figure out a way to cross the front without blocking his air supply and the water from going out.

So, ideas?

easy enough - use a hair comb and stuck it in there, of course teeth down so he doesn't get hurt trying to jump over it, or if you can actually (i can't decide if it's possible or not), try to get a net over the whole area - net, as in old stretchy nylon stockings ;)

And what goes about cycling, it is OBLIGATORY. Every aquarium, always. Period.
What happens if you don't cycle your aquarium, yes well. Simple enough, but hard to face it. There is no nitrification bacteria in your water and filter system, so the problem that is going to occur is a HUGE RISE of ammonia as soon as you get a living creature in there, and while there is no bacteria to take that ammonia (no3) and process it into no2, your fish will soon enough get sick. Infections, breathing problems, fin rots, big algae issues, "green water", and later on, suffocation based on lack of oxygen in the water - slow and painful death for your betta. It can last months. Your betta might look fine, and then someday, out of nowhere it will get horribly sick and die just like that. Anyway, end result is always the same, a too fast occuring death.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #7 
Rennae

I am doing a fish in cycle of the tank. The tank was set up sunday, gave it a couple days and checked the water levels before getting him today. He's now in. I will be checking the water levels daily throughout and performing small changes as needed. If epsom salt is required at a later time I will add some, but for now I'm letting the tank work. (Have fish in guide so no worries).

As for the filter fix, I had a fish net that was a bit too big for the tank, cut it apart and slipped it over the filter.

This is only a temporary fix. I'll be doing something more permanent soon. Just did that for now to keep him from getting in there while I figure out a permanent fix.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 
Aitas

Yeah, if you put water that was already cycled and put some of the filtration material from an already full operating tank, that speeds up the process a bit, but i still am scared you rushed it a bit. What are your no3, no2, po4 levels?

Don't think i'm trying to be mean or scare you or something, but cycling is a very important thing people usually forget/neglect and then it suddenly goes horribly wrong :(

Oh and please, do your betta a favour, cut a clove of garlic in half and put it in!
It's used as a very good natural antibiotic, and it also reduces stress of the newly arrivals, and a very good preventive for any diseases. ;) I always prefer natural over chemistry, and trust me, garlic works! You should leave it in there for 3 days, then take it out (it might get a bit nasty to touch, but don't worry, that's good!)

EDIT: forgot to say, the solution for now is as good as it gets ;)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 
Rennae

Sadly I don't have already cycled water. And honestly I forgot about the cycling. However I realized it after my purchase so did the looking for fish in cycling and found one. I'll be keeping my eye close on him. I do hope as well that things don't go wrong, as I would hate for another one to die needlessly. If things do go wrong, before I try again I will make sure the tank is fully cycled and prepared before another one.

However, I will do everything in my power to make sure he lasts a long time :3 I already love him and his sneaky ways!

Going to see what I can come up with using the yarn cross-stitching grids for a bit more of an elegant solution to the problem.If it doesn't work, well, guess the blue net will be more permanent.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 
Aitas

Wait, what do you mean by a fish in cycle? I'm confused :S
I hope it goes well this time, I really do, but you will need to pay a looot of attention to the water, and do frequent changes, I'd say 30% twice per week will be necessary. And really, give him a clove of garlic, it will help. You will also do yourself a favour if you plant a real plant in there, a fast growing one! The point is, plants use lots of no3, po4 and co2 from your water, which helps keeping them in order! I'd say a vallisineria would do a great job for you, grows fast, needs almost no attention... Good luck!

You can just cut the net a bit to size and make it stay a bit firmer and more nicely, and it will work just fine. ;)

Last edited by Aitas; 01-31-2012 at 05:40 PM.