MistersMom

you all set to go now?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #12 
BettaChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
you all set to go now?
Yes, MistersMom, I think I am all set and ready to go! Ghosty will be a very happily spoiled fish and will hopefully live for years to come =)

I did have one quick question about Bettas colors. I've seen so many crazy looking pictures of colorful betta online. Are those specially bred for their colors or do bettas develop and change their color over time or by eating certain foods. Like my Ghosty is a little whitish/pinky with some blue/purple fin details, will he stay the general same color or change over time?

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #13 
MistersMom

Marblers change colors alot, normal fish just age.....he may get darker, or lighter..... you never really know!
mine havent changed color
Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #14 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaChic View Post

I did have one quick question about Bettas colors. I've seen so many crazy looking pictures of colorful betta online. Are those specially bred for their colors or do bettas develop and change their color over time or by eating certain foods. Like my Ghosty is a little whitish/pinky with some blue/purple fin details, will he stay the general same color or change over time?

<3 BettaChic
Bettas come in all colors and patterns, and new ones are popping up often. The ones you see in places such as Aquabid are bred for color and fins to make money.
Your average betta will come in different colors, patterns and tail types- shopping at different stores you will see all different ones. Your average betta also will change on their own- when you bring them home and they become adjusted they will become more vivid/richer in color, and to keep the colors bright and pretty, feeding a variety of high protein diet is ideal.
There are color enhancing foods out there, but I am unsure if they actually work- since I rather feed for nutrition over coloration, since a healthy fish will be very pretty on it's own.

Ghosty will stay similar to that as he ages, but don't be alarmed or surprised if he becomes more blue and darkens up on his body, or fins. I bought a very light pink/light purple girl and she ended up being dark blue/dark pink in colors. Also have one who was blue/green, and now he is dark blue and pitch black- so sometimes they surprise you. He will most likely stay very close to what he is now, just a little darker as he ages down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaChic View Post
Myates,

Thank you so much for your very informative, detailed answers!! You've also cleared up many questions that I had!
Welcome, glad I could help :)

I will definitely be sure to purchase a siphon cleaner as well! And I will not do any 100% water changes! Lol I was about to do one this weekend so I'm glad people were nice enough to get back to me so quickly. Thank you for that link on aquatic plants, I will look through that and see if Pewpewpew or Oldfishlady have any favorites. I am definitely getting a heater tomorrow, my poor little guy is probably feeling a bit chilly at 70-71 F =(
70-71 is not going to kill him, but you will want a warmer tank since the cold water will eventually catch up to him in other ways- as well as the average aquatic plant needs warmth. With a fair amount of live plants, the water change %, and siphoning will be lessened as the plants will help keep the tank clean and healthy. Depending on what you get and how much, let us, or the two I mentioned know and we/they can recommend a good cleaning schedule to fit what you have.

I will be sure to only rinse toys with hot water, no scrubbing. Wow, you have such lucky bettas that you feed so well! I will pick up a variety of foods so my little buddy doesn't get bored. When you say 2-3 small meals a day, that's 1-2 flakes/pellets/chunks of food per feeding time right? They don't eat much I've read, but my poor guy keeps looking at me like "MOMMY GIVE ME MORE PLEASE!!!"
My bettas are all picky- only one will eat freeze dried, only one other will eat flakes, etc etc.. so I have to keep so many on hand if I want each one to get a variety lol. So don't get disheartened if Ghosty decides to be picky, it happens. I have my old man Xander who will only eat pellets. Period. Nothing else. Nadda. lol.. can't get him to eat anything else for the life of me.
Yes, at least 2 meals a day- you can spread it out how you wish.. but I generally go with a total of 4-6 (common, medium sized) pellets per day, or 8-10 "mini/micro" per day, spread out in 2-3 feedings (this is of course if pellets are all you are feeding for the day, otherwise 1-3 pellets per meal is what you are wanting, depending on how many meals and what all you are feeding that day). 1-2 pieces of freeze dried per meal, same as frozen- all depends on what you get and how big they are.
A good rule of thumb is- their stomachs are about the size of their eye, so you don't want to give them too much. It will expand some, so don't think 2 pellets at once will be too much. I would say look at the amount of 3 common pellets together, and feed that much per meal if you are feeding twice, and if you are feeding three times a day then feed the size amount of 2 pellets per meal... if any of that makes sense to you.

As for the ghost shrimp, I will get another plant and some rock/caves or wood for them to hide in/around. How do you go about introducing tank mates? Will I know within the first few hours if they will be ok together? Or will I wake up next week and find a shrimpy missing? :'(
I would pick up some java moss if you can when you get them- it's a very easy plant that doesn't need much light, doesn't need soil, heck, doesn't even need a filter to survive. Place some of that on the bottom too to give the shrimp some cover and food.
Honestly, you could try introducing them with the light off in the tank, to give them time to settle down and have some sort of cover from Ghosty.
Unfortunately, we don't know what Ghosty will do until he is in the situation, some bettas ignore them, others will nibble on parts of them, and yet others will use them as brunch. And it can happen at any time. He may be fine with them for the first week, the one day the predator instinct will kick in from a movement a shrimp makes, or seeing the shrimp dart from the corner of his eye and goes after them. Bettas are insectivores, and always looking for a meal, so seeing something small and dart will be very tempting.
You can try and get the largest ones you see to help reduce the chance of waking up and have some missing.. it's a gamble, sometimes it pays off and they all live happily ever after together, and sometimes you may end up with missing shrimp and others with missing limbs.

Thanks again!

<3 BettaChic
Also just wanted to say- a 2.5 gallon is a great size for a betta, I keep all of mine in 2 gallons which is plenty of room for them and easy to maintain on my schedule/needs. A 5 gallon would be great, but don't think you have to get it. Plus, what would you do with the spare 2.5? Too small for any other fish.. you could have a shrimp colony, or another betta! ;)

Last edited by Myates; 02-02-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #15 
scootshoot

Your betta looks amazing
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #16 
BettaChic

Red face

Quote:
Bettas come in all colors and patterns, and new ones are popping up often. The ones you see in places such as Aquabid are bred for color and fins to make money.

Ahhh, that's where they come from! I know where I'm getting my next betta lol...

Your average betta will come in different colors, patterns and tail types- shopping at different stores you will see all different ones. Your average betta also will change on their own- when you bring them home and they become adjusted they will become more vivid/richer in color, and to keep the colors bright and pretty, feeding a variety of high protein diet is ideal.
There are color enhancing foods out there, but I am unsure if they actually work- since I rather feed for nutrition over coloration, since a healthy fish will be very pretty on it's own.

Yea... I had gotten him color enhancing food and after reading the ingredients, now I'm like bleh...I don't even know what some of that stuff is. I'll look around for some New Life Spectrum at Petco.

Ghosty will stay similar to that as he ages, but don't be alarmed or surprised if he becomes more blue and darkens up on his body, or fins. I bought a very light pink/light purple girl and she ended up being dark blue/dark pink in colors. Also have one who was blue/green, and now he is dark blue and pitch black- so sometimes they surprise you. He will most likely stay very close to what he is now, just a little darker as he ages down the road.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if Ghosty will turn out like your girl. We'll see! An exciting journey lol.

Quote:
Quote:
70-71 is not going to kill him, but you will want a warmer tank since the cold water will eventually catch up to him in other ways- as well as the average aquatic plant needs warmth. With a fair amount of live plants, the water change %, and siphoning will be lessened as the plants will help keep the tank clean and healthy. Depending on what you get and how much, let us, or the two I mentioned know and we/they can recommend a good cleaning schedule to fit what you have.

Bahh, so I got a heater today, but I guess I wasn't thinking about my tank well enough because it's a little too big. So I'll exchange it for another tomorrow. I also didn't realize how much space my darn filter is taking up!!! Rawr! Almost 1/3 of the tank top and that's where I'd like to stick my heater! lol

My bettas are all picky- only one will eat freeze dried, only one other will eat flakes, etc etc.. so I have to keep so many on hand if I want each one to get a variety lol. So don't get disheartened if Ghosty decides to be picky, it happens. I have my old man Xander who will only eat pellets. Period. Nothing else. Nadda. lol.. can't get him to eat anything else for the life of me.
Yes, at least 2 meals a day- you can spread it out how you wish.. but I generally go with a total of 4-6 (common, medium sized) pellets per day, or 8-10 "mini/micro" per day, spread out in 2-3 feedings (this is of course if pellets are all you are feeding for the day, otherwise 1-3 pellets per meal is what you are wanting, depending on how many meals and what all you are feeding that day). 1-2 pieces of freeze dried per meal, same as frozen- all depends on what you get and how big they are.

Well I didn't think it would ever happen lol, but Ghosty finally stared at me like "Pellets?.....That's it?......??" Lol here we go.

A good rule of thumb is- their stomachs are about the size of their eye, so you don't want to give them too much. It will expand some, so don't think 2 pellets at once will be too much. I would say look at the amount of 3 common pellets together, and feed that much per meal if you are feeding twice, and if you are feeding three times a day then feed the size amount of 2 pellets per meal... if any of that makes sense to you.

That helps put things into perspective, thank you!

I would pick up some java moss if you can when you get them- it's a very easy plant that doesn't need much light, doesn't need soil, heck, doesn't even need a filter to survive. Place some of that on the bottom too to give the shrimp some cover and food.

The store I went to ended up being sold out of java moss so I might try another one. But I ended up getting a crypt plant and an anubias. Oldfishlady got back to me and recommended the crypts! I also bought a piece of wood to tie the anubias down to because the guy at the store said they will start growing on the wood. Pictures below!

Honestly, you could try introducing them with the light off in the tank, to give them time to settle down and have some sort of cover from Ghosty.
Unfortunately, we don't know what Ghosty will do until he is in the situation, some bettas ignore them, others will nibble on parts of them, and yet others will use them as brunch. And it can happen at any time. He may be fine with them for the first week, the one day the predator instinct will kick in from a movement a shrimp makes, or seeing the shrimp dart from the corner of his eye and goes after them. Bettas are insectivores, and always looking for a meal, so seeing something small and dart will be very tempting.
You can try and get the largest ones you see to help reduce the chance of waking up and have some missing.. it's a gamble, sometimes it pays off and they all live happily ever after together, and sometimes you may end up with missing shrimp and others with missing limbs.

I'm in the process of trying to introduce them now slowly =( ...I'm not sure if it looks promising for the shrimpies
Also just wanted to say- a 2.5 gallon is a great size for a betta, I keep all of mine in 2 gallons which is plenty of room for them and easy to maintain on my schedule/needs. A 5 gallon would be great, but don't think you have to get it. Plus, what would you do with the spare 2.5? Too small for any other fish.. you could have a shrimp colony, or another betta! ;)

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better lol. I guess I'd just like to give the guy as much space as needed for him to grow to his full potential and be happy =)
So here is what my new tank looks like with aqua plants.

Ghosty seems to be checking it out, thinkin' it's cool lol

Now as you've probably noticed, there is a little cup of shrimp up top... lol. I've been so nervous about introducing them, I thought maybe this method might help? I'm completely guessing... I was hoping that if the shrimp were in there like that for a few hours, then Ghosty may get over them and not care as much? At first he was trying to nip the container, then he just kept staring, now he is sometimes ignoring, other times darting around the cup. What do you think? Lol, hungry predator or friendly kitten?

Is this at all.... possible? Or am I basically torturing the shrimp to death and teasing Ghosty? lol

I've made a shrimp sanctuary if they can make it there. A little wooden cave with a moss ball for a door and some anubias coverage lol.

Here are the two plants I got (Ghosty is hanging out). Anubias on the left and crypts on the right. My question I also asked Oldfishlady was, do I have to keep those ugly looking sponge covers around the plants roots? Am I supposed to bury it under the gravel? The directions on the gravel said to only put this much with the amount of water that I have, but it's not enough to cover all that up lol, or is it supposed to be free floating?

Thanks for staying tuned! I'm having a lot of fun with my betta and this forum so far, lots of interesting posts, fish, and people!

I just had to include this picture I happened to snag of Ghosty at the right moment LOL!

He gave me his "WHAT?!" face! lol

<3 BettaChic
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #17 
BettaChic

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Your betta looks amazing
Thanks Scootshoot!! I'm proud of my adorable, beautiful baby boy lol! Your betta is pretty cute there itself too! =p

<3 BettaChic
Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #18 
MistersMom

Looking good!!! lol