Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 
wishfull

Unhappy Rip or Rot? also My poor Grandma's Constipated? Betta

I have 2 issues with 2 different Bettas. (Terrible Mummy here D:)
(attached photos)

1. Is my Grandmother's fish Prada. He is swimming on his side and I believe he is constipated. He basically float on one side and can't swim down without great effort. I tried Peas but the tricky thing is he won't eat anything. Where I live the pet store (who have a healthy variety of Bettas) knows that no one nearby sells any epsom salts for a bath. I tried AQ salt to no change. He is really weak now!

2. Second is Wasabi my HM. Not as dire; I have noticed his fins being ripped due to plastic plants I've now removed. But recently I've noticed that a few large chunks have appeared and wondered if this is fin rot. I don't think so as he seems as jolly and narcissistic as ever if a bit peeved that I removed is plants. (When Prada had fin rot my Grandma told me he was quite depressed).

Specs:
Prada: 2L Tank (moved from 0.5L?), Fed little sprinkle pellets that he has been breed up on (refuses all other variation of food), no filter or heater (Aus water is quite warm in summer), I keep them with almond leaves, change 5 -7days 100%.

Wasabi:
2L Tank, 4 feed pellets from a pet store (no name shame) in the morning and at night, no filter or heater (Aus water is quite warm in summer), I keep them with almond leave, change weekly 100%.
Attached Images

Last edited by wishfull; 02-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.
wishfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
Myates

Welcome, sorry your guys aren't doing so well..

For Prada you will want Epsom Salt to help bring down the swelling.. see if you can order some online? AQ salt will actually make matters worse.. so I advise to not use it any more on him. Fast him for 3-4 days to see if that helps, allow his system to catch up. But if his swim bladder is damaged or affected, then the salts may be your only choice to right him.

Wasabi I can't tell.. he may of chewed his fins and bit off the chunks (common with male bettas) and you are seeing the result of that. What you are wanting to look for in fin rot is if the edging of the fins and damaged area is black and flaking off. If they are clean cut then it is most likely him doing it and there really is not much you can do about it other then make sure he isn't overly stressed and has plenty of mental stimulation such as plants and a cave (which may be hard to do in a 2L and still give him room to swim). Have to remember, these guys don't prefer or want to live in puddles, but instead live in expanses miles long.

For half a gallon (2L) you will want to be doing 2 50% and 1 100% water change per week (minimal 1 50% and 1 100%)- the container is on the very small end of the scale for tanks, so build up of ammonia/nitrate/ites and waste happens quickly.

Best to feed lesser amounts- 4-6 pellets total a day if they are the common size.. unsure what sprinkle pellets are, or the size of them. For "micro" or "mini" pellets, 8-10 total a day is good.. spread between 2 meals a day.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 
wishfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

For Prada you will want Epsom Salt to help bring down the swelling..

Fast him for 3-4 days to see if that helps
Just to check Epsom salt is the same as the variety used in gardening? I might try looking at hardware store as well.
As for fasting I had tried that, but afterwards he refused to eat again. So literally he has gone for weeks without food. (I've added a picture for food comparison)

He refuses to eat anything bigger than this which what made the peas solution impossible (the other fish ate it happily D:)

Name:  IMG_0266[1].jpg
Views: 261
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0265[1].jpg
Views: 340
Size:  49.3 KB

Quote:
Wasabi I can't tell.. he may of chewed his fins.

What you are wanting to look for in fin rot is if the edging of the fins and damaged area is black and flaking off. If they are clean cut then it is most likely him doing it and there really is not much you can do about it other then make sure he isn't overly stressed and has plenty of mental stimulation such as plants and a cave (which may be hard to do in a 2L and still give him room to swim).
I don't think he has chewed them as he doesn't seem stressed, rather I think the tearing was because of the plastic plants I had put in as the plants were still in there the tears appeared (another betta gained rips that way - healing now though). It just alarms me that chunks are missing. No signs of flaking of black areas luckily so it might not bee fin rot?..... :D

Actually looking for silk plants now...with little luck XD

Another thing to worry about was his water though... when I changed him last the water became cloudy within hours even when I changed him again. Someone told me it was "bacteria balancing" and that it would go away over time (which it did). Could that be another factor? 0.0

Name:  IMG_0253[1].jpg
Views: 268
Size:  38.6 KB

Quote:

For half a gallon (2L) you will want to be doing 2 50% and 1 100% water change per week (minimal 1 50% and 1 100%)- the container is on the very small end of the scale for tanks, so build up of ammonia/nitrate/ites and waste happens quickly.

Best to feed lesser amounts- 4-6 pellets total a day if they are the common size.. unsure what sprinkle pellets are, or the size of them. For "micro" or "mini" pellets, 8-10 total a day is good.. spread between 2 meals a day.
Thanks for the advice I had emailed various pet stores (I had gotten mine from 3 different places) and they had all advised different feeding/water changes. I even talked to a petshop worker who said he 50% weekly...(myight use a siphon though.. I can't do that with gravel).

I know 2L is just bordering the line of acceptance, however I have to keep them in there until I'm sure of my lodgings (we might be moving). So I'll try to make them happy there until I can change tanks. :(

Last edited by wishfull; 02-02-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #4 
Myates

Handsome boys there..

Prada isn't bloated, and if he hasn't eaten for a while then he isn't constipated. Something cause his swim bladder to malfunction, causing SBD.

Epsom Salt is actually something we use as humans, you will find it in pharmacy sections of most stores, or a pharmacy itself. We use it to control swelling and help heal bruises, and it does pretty much the same thing for the betta, reduces swelling. It usually works in repairing swim bladders. (Make sure it is dye/fragrance free)
He doesn't look too thin at this point, they can go weeks without food.. he should start eating once he is doing better.

Wasabi's fins look frayed, usually with damage from a plastic plant or other decorative item you will see splits, and those tend to fuse back together within a day or two. Him being a halfmoon, possibly feather tail, his fins are rather large. Halfmoons are notorious for chewing their fins. I definitely see bite marks on a lot of areas on his fins, and the fraying are signs of it- as he doesn't have a filter to cause it, and plants will rip rather then take off bits and pieces from the edges, such as a mouth would.
Not saying a plant didn't cause some damage, but most of the damage and fraying is more self caused rather then object caused by the looks of it.

A siphon would remove the water too fast in a 2L, best to stick with the 1-2 50% water only, and 1 100% per week. Being in a half gallon for a while won't harm him, just as long as you keep the temp warm by placing them in a warm spot in your home (since they are too small to safely use a heater), and the necessary water changes are being made.

If you do find Epsom Salt, then use 2 teaspoon per gallon (so in his 2L, use 1 teaspoon), with water conditioner, and daily 100% water changes (adding in the salt each time) until he is better- which could take 8-10 days. Make sure to dissolve the salt prior to adding him with it, use a glass or even his tank to mix/shake it real well, as the salt grains may burn him.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #5 
wishfull

Quote:
Handsome boys there..

Prada isn't bloated, and if he hasn't eaten for a while then he isn't constipated. Something cause his swim bladder to malfunction, causing SBD.
Thanks, I've used the Epsom salt as advised.. now in the 3rd day Mum comments that he seems to have gained back some colour.. (I really have to pull her back from trying to poke a hole through Prada =_=). Hopefully by 8-10 days he is all better....

Quote:
I definitely see bite marks on a lot of areas on his fins, and the fraying are signs of it- as he doesn't have a filter to cause it, and plants will rip rather then take off bits and pieces from the edges, such as a mouth would.
Oh okay, I can see your point (Wholly had 'slitted' fins). It's really sad Wasabi is biting himself though....

Actually I was luckily able to find a good place for fish stuff despite being in Aus (thanks RSPCA!) and was able to get my hands on Melafix and silk plants which I've been adding to the tanks.

I also got some Hikari Bloodworms as treats... However Wasabi spat them back and only started nibbling when l I cut them in half, and now he doesn't seem to be eating anything at all! He seems a little listless (but still swimming up & down) so I don't know what has happened to him...all the other fish seem perky like usual and they are all under the same conditions?....
Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #6 
wishfull

Sad news; Prada passed away this morning R.I.P. ):

Wasabi on the other hand seems to be still fin biting (but still happy?) so I've started melafix... is that something you put in daily or just with each change?..

Ona better note I was able to get 40L tank yesterday for the little betta...now only finding where to divide them....

Anyway thanks Myates for all your support!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #7 
Myates

I'm sorry he didn't make it :( Sometimes there isn't anything you can do.. but at least he was a little more comfortable towards the end...

Melafix can actually be harmful to the labyrinth organ in a betta and advised not to be used with them. I would get your money back if possible..
Melafix won't do anything for Wasabi and fin biting.. all it will do is put him through unneeded stress and possible organ damage.

For fin biting just keep the tank cleaned with your weekly water changes, make sure he has plenty of plants and a cave... they fin bite for any number of reasons, and there isn't anything that is a for sure thing to stop them.

Congrats on the larger tank.. one that size I would only divide by 3, possibly 4 at the very most.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #8 
flowerslegacy

Giving a +1 for Myates. Wishfull, I have a halfmoon that looks *exactly* the same. His fins are thrashed and he's a tailbiter as well. I'm actually moving him to a different size tank and adding some different decorations to see if I can calm him down. He's a happy guy though - frisky, jumper, social. Just as Myates stated, make sure his water stays really clean. He's at a higher risk for fin rot and bacteria to attack those open ends of his finnage. Clean, clean water is the best medicine for our hyper tail biters :)
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #9 
wishfull

Need Help ASAP!!

Yesterday 2 of my tanks were broken. Thanks to this one of my Betta is now placed in quarantine until I find (a correct) aquarium salt - in AUS remember!

Anyway with Wasabi I had placed him a plastic (non-see through) popcorn cup over night while I hastened getting the larger aquarium to be divided.

Now when he was in the cup he was really skittish when I check on him - I wasn't to worried as this happened before when I accidentally rapped him old tank, and he got over it with time.

When I released him in the divided tank I saw a terrible sight!!

At first he was hiding in the corner away from Wholly (it turns out tinted they can still see through tinted glass =>= will fix this later), anyway he was acting very different to the other Betta.
After awhile though he gained more confidence and eventually joined in charging each other (boys!).

So guys can I ask for your advice on what caused the large fin disappearance this time?

Rips from the broken tank (and my foot which he landed on as I rushed him to the popcorn cup, and I miracly not stepped on), Bitting from the stress of 2 tanks breaking (he was near when the other one happened too!), Or is it either bacterial/fungal fin rot?

Please guys I need a general verdict ASAP! so that I can remove him or not.

Ps. Thanks about Prada.. was only babysitting him for 2 months but I really fell for Betta again thanks to him :(
Attached Images

Last edited by wishfull; 02-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #10 
Silverfang

It sounds like he got spooked while in the QT tank over night, I'm positive he attacked his tail and fins. My boy did the same thing while being in a dark mug for a water change.

Keep his water extra clean, and feed a high protein diet. I'm not sure what to do about his constant biting, I haven't been able to get my boy to stop his yet either.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipated, dying, fin rot, ripped fins