Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #11 
HatsuneMiku

no offense .. but if you don't have enough money to have big enough tanks for the 3 betta that you have .. or are even able to afford a small heater for a 1g (usually 13 bucks) .. you defiantly do not have enough money to breed .. it takes a lot of space and a lot of money and a lot of time and planning ..

grow out tanks should be at least be 20g .. and they need an submersible adjustable heater .. no if ands or buts about that .. or fry will not live .. if you can't even afford a heater for a 1g bowl .. how do you expect to pay for all the necessities and initial investments and purchases you have to make just to have the proper setup for breeding? not to mention all the time it takes to condition your bettas .. and the three months you need to rear the fry before they are even sellable?

i'm not trying to talk you out of breeding .. just bringing up some points that you might want to think over before you take the plunge .. it's alot of work and time and money .. and i hope you know what your getting yourself into
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #12 
Roxy

* Agree's with Miku *
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

+ heaps to Miku. You won't earn money from breeding if you it properly, especially not from your first spawn. You will be lucky to break even.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

You've been given a lot of great advice so far :) I admit, judging from your avitar, the water is a bit low on the tank. Good luck with everything! And welcome to the forum :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #15 
Hanky

Thanks guys I totally agree, dont be breeding for profit only. it should be for the love, and betterment of the species. If you cant afford to properily house a few bettas then dont even think of breeding them yet, research breeding and see whats all involved financially and make sure you have people to buy your bettas.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #16 
Hanky

please dont take offense, but your little sparky deserves a bigger home there, if that is a 1 gallon bowl hes only got a little over 1/2 gallon of water.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #17 
Thomasdog

yes, all the money is being invested in the breeding. I love betta fish to death, and most people do not realize what people around me think of them. they think that they are mean fish. I have told a lot of people what they are really like, and now a lot of my friends and family around me are interstied in seeing what they are really like. I already have a 30gal tank for breeding, as well as a baby brine shrimp hatchery and a heater. thanks for your concerns.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #18 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasdog View Post
yes, all the money is being invested in the breeding. I love betta fish to death, and most people do not realize what people around me think of them. they think that they are mean fish. I have told a lot of people what they are really like, and now a lot of my friends and family around me are interstied in seeing what they are really like. I already have a 30gal tank for breeding, as well as a baby brine shrimp hatchery and a heater. thanks for your concerns.
Oh? I thought you don't have the space for an aquarium tank that are any bigger than 5 gallon.

Quote:
We do not have very much room in my household for big tanks over 2.5-5 gallon.... soo....
Quote:
I really don't think that I am going to be able to keep any more than a 5gal.

Last edited by Roxy; 02-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

If you have a 30 gallon and a heater, why on earth are you not keeping your guys in it until you are ready to breed? You could easily fill the water up in the 30 gallon partway, put your betta jars in it, and heat the 30 gallon so that the water in the 30 also keeps the jar water warm. Or, you could temporarily divide the tank.

A 30 gal is a great start, but you are going to also need potentially hundreds of 1 gal containers for the males, more than one grow-out tank and a tank to do the actual breeding in, plus a way to heat all of those, PLUS filter the spawn tank and the grow-out tanks. Forgive me for going on about this, but that's a lot of stuff to buy. Surely a good start would be buying heaters for your current fish, as they can later be used in the breeding process. And since you'll need a ten gal tank as a spawn tank, why not get that now and temporarily divide it?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #20 
bahamut285

How frequently do you change her water? Both the picture provided and the picture in your avatar have evaporation marks that are HUGE. In the picture she looks really stressed out and depressed.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote