Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 AM   #1 
Marlboroack

where do Wal*mart, Petsmart & Petco. get their Bettas?

I'm really curious. Do you guys have any idea? I know they come from abroad, but the breeders must have awesome specimens tucked away some where!
Marlboroack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #2 
Laki

I think it depends. I never asked my PetSmart but I know both smaller non-franchised pet stores here order from Singapore via a small business account. I can order a special type betta from one of these stores (and I treid for any tail type Mustard gas which never came in) and he other just sells Crowntail and Veiltail.
My PetSmart sells the same 2 commons but my Bowser and his brother Saxon (whom my sister bought) are possibly 1/2 halfmoon ^.^ .. Sold as Crowntail.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 
Marlboroack

But the shipping from Singapore is well over the total cost of the bettas for sale.. That's why it doesn't make since to me.
Marlboroack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For a business, they can set up a wholesale with a breeder. The deal is that they get large amount of betta at a smaller cost, shipped all together, as long as the store keeps buying from that particular breeder. Hence why betta are cheap in stores, and expensive if you buy just one from Thailand/Singapore.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 
Laki

I asked today when I picked up my new betta where they come from. The guy only knew they bought in bulk from one supplier all their betta. By "bulk" they take what they get and that's it, no choosing. And that's all he knew. So yea probably the same for large franchises.
I just don't know how they survive the trip to Newfoundland!! I should look more into that. They're getting more betta Thursday but the city shut down today from the insane storm that came (mall and buses stopped a half hour after I got my new little guy!!)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 
NoahG

Not all of them are from abroad.

I can't say where all the distributors are for each of those retail chains, but I know my store (a PetSmart) has one of the better distributors amidst my company and our Bettas come from Utah. The distributor is a fishery and it appears as though they produce all of the fish that they sell.

I imagine each of these companies has a number of distributors that they use, and so to really know you may have to speak to someone at the stores to learn about what distributor they have. Not sure how the question might be taken, however -- that may depend on who you ask.

Something tells me though that international distributors are unlikely, or few, in the case of major chain stores. I could be wrong, however.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #7 
nel3

the ones i know about usually come from distributors within the country or continent (depending on the store). dont know how often some Thai bettas come in but one store does get some on occasion. still doesnt change the fact that the majority of them a bit older than 1-2 months.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #8 
copperarabian

Petco gets their bettas from local suppliers. The petco I go to in San Jose CA have they fish trucked over from Sacramento where they breed bettas. That's why petco prices vary depending on where you are.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Laki, most are flown in. They are here anyways :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I know the ones at one small store are from Singapore. For the bulk of it, there is no choice, at one point they were told they are getting some tri-colours in.

I think the only time they were given any choice was for some half priced HM PKs.

As for local breeders, I only know one, and she doesn't have any females atm, in fact I have her last girl. When she did have some ready, she sold a few, but otherwise all are flown in.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote