Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #21 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
My walmart is getting better, the water is blue, but the fish were mostly healthy though there was one dead one that had this fuzz all over him. It used to be a lot worse back in 2010 all the fish I bought from there had dirty water. Sometime last year it must have changed after I stopped getting fish. The lady who checked out Arashi would have charged for both. She loved seeing them flare up, and obviously didn't care for the fishes well being. She asked if I was going to put him in a small bowl near another fish. I told her I was putting him in a divided ten gallon! She didn't think that was any fun.

Thats the sad thing... people just tihnk of them as these lazy lethargic fish... but once you upgrade them and provide their basic needs... they are amazingly energetic and very personal....
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #22 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
They really do. It's a shame that they were not taken better care of too. You would think walmart would do that so they could make a little more money.

Sadly, the owners of walmart no longer care about the product.... they actually don't loose money with the dead bettas.... all they have to do is mark them down as a loss and then send it back to the breeder and I believe they are compensated plus, they sell the bettas for more than they buy them
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #23 
fraviz

2 weeks ago I went to Walmart looking for some ghost shrimp and I saw they received a bunch of Bettas, about 30 cups... while I was digging around I found 5 cups with death fish. I went last night and all were gone. My guess is none survived. It's a shame. The women who run the pet section was completely lost about my inquires. I wanted to buy some tetras they all had ick ... it is such a sad place for those poor animals.....
fraviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #24 
fishyfishfish425

Wow I am so impressed and inspired!! Could you please describe the treatment you used?

I keep promising to myself to not even go to Petland because I check them all so carefully. I found one last night who has fin rot/loss, not as bad as Sammy's originally was though, so I pointed it out to the clerk who agreed to let me take him for free.

Overall his color is good, he is active. At the moment I have him in a heated, 1.5 gallon tank. This particular tank is unfiltered. Since I wasn't expecting to be leaving with a betta, I only have the basic test kid so ammonia is at 0ppm, pH is at 6.8-7. Since the heater has smaller wattage/for small tanks it only heats it to 78 degrees. Has rocks, a brazilian sword which he seems to love, bamboo and a little cave.

I treated it with appropriate dosages of aquarium salt and melafix--I read about some stronger medications (smartphones!!) before asking to take him home, but this particular store did not have them, of course--so I'm not sure if I should continue the melafix treatment first or move onto something stronger sooner? I was also originally thinking of 100% water changes everyday, but your opinion would be GREATLY appreciated! I've never dealth with fin rot, fin loss, etc before so being the judge what would require a stronger medication is unfamiliar to me.

Any input at all would be appreciated. I know it probably wasn't the wisest idea to just hop into bringing him home slightly unprepared, but I felt so awful just leaving him there .

Link to the photo:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...brin/photo.jpg

Photo is not great quality as I had the lamp off. You can see from the silhouette though that the way to describe it is as though someone took a scissor and just cut the fins.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by fishyfishfish425; 02-02-2012 at 09:46 AM.
fishyfishfish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #25 
capeziodncr

wow that really is an amazing transformation! i'm impressed :) makes me want to go rescue a fish right now... i wish i had the room!
capeziodncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #26 
blueridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Sadly, the owners of walmart no longer care about the product.... they actually don't loose money with the dead bettas.... all they have to do is mark them down as a loss and then send it back to the breeder and I believe they are compensated plus, they sell the bettas for more than they buy them
Since they aren't even making money off of it it almost makes you wonder why they even bother to sell them...
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #27 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishfish425 View Post
Wow I am so impressed and inspired!! Could you please describe the treatment you used?
For Sammy's treatment I decided to go a different route... Sammy is actually my THIRD betta who had severe fin loss... my FIRST boy, Hercules, was put in a cup with another male.... the other male was perfect, no fin loss.... Hercules was not as lucky and was on deaths door... for him, I did 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water with 100% daily water changes... I did this for about 2-3 months... Hercules fins grew back slowly, once I stopped AQ salt treatment I upgraded him to a 3 gallon tank (he was in a 1.5 gallon tank for QT before)... he started tailbiting and I downgraded him again, he stopped, but his fins grew back slowly again and in a few places it kinked (did not grow back right).... my SECOND boy, Finn, had NO fins left, his was due to finrot though, I only kept him on the AQ salt for 2-3 weeks, kept up with 100% daily water changes... his fins are not ALL back (Hercules are still coming back in), but his fins are severly stunted and did not come in correctly (this as it turns can happen with some fin loss... it doesnt come back, or at least not correctly).... he was upgraded to a 2.5 gallon which he LOVES... Sammy... my THIRD boy, well... Im not 100% ure how he lost his fins... I saw no signs of finrot though.... for him I QTed him in a 1.5 gallon QT with 1 tsp of AQ salt for 3 days.... then just kept up with 100% daily water changes using API water condition + stress coat, his fins have grown back faster and MUCH more natural

(for all, the heat was kept 80-83... warmer temps help prevent stress)

Quote:

I keep promising to myself to not even go to Petland because I check them all so carefully. I found one last night who has fin rot/loss, not as bad as Sammy's originally was though, so I pointed it out to the clerk who agreed to let me take him for free.

Overall his color is good, he is active. At the moment I have him in a heated, 1.5 gallon tank. This particular tank is unfiltered. Since I wasn't expecting to be leaving with a betta, I only have the basic test kid so ammonia is at 0ppm, pH is at 6.8-7. Since the heater has smaller wattage/for small tanks it only heats it to 78 degrees. Has rocks, a brazilian sword which he seems to love, bamboo and a little cave.

I treated it with appropriate dosages of aquarium salt and melafix--I read about some stronger medications (smartphones!!) before asking to take him home, but this particular store did not have them, of course--so I'm not sure if I should continue the melafix treatment first or move onto something stronger sooner? I was also originally thinking of 100% water changes everyday, but your opinion would be GREATLY appreciated! I've never dealth with fin rot, fin loss, etc before so being the judge what would require a stronger medication is unfamiliar to me.

Quote:
Any input at all would be appreciated. I know it probably wasn't the wisest idea to just hop into bringing him home slightly unprepared, but I felt so awful just leaving him there .

Link to the photo:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...brin/photo.jpg

Photo is not great quality as I had the lamp off. You can see from the silhouette though that the way to describe it is as though someone took a scissor and just cut the fins.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Im glad you got him for free.... bettas are amazingly resiliant and often come back without any signs of prior illness.. I would do 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water for 1 week, monitoring him closely along with 100% daily water changes... keep a sharp eye on him for any behavioral changes

Thank you for saving him!!! Keep me updated on his progress please!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #28 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeziodncr View Post
wow that really is an amazing transformation! i'm impressed :) makes me want to go rescue a fish right now... i wish i had the room!

Thank you! I love watching the transformations... sadly I do not have enough room for them all I take in the ones I can and pray for the ones I couldnt take
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #29 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
Since they aren't even making money off of it it almost makes you wonder why they even bother to sell them...
They make most of the money when people buy the little bowls, the water conditionor, the food... then sometimes the tank mates they do make a slight profit on the ones who live to be sold... most cases when a buyer buys in bulk they get SERIOUS discounts... so say Walmart buys 20 bettas for $40...thats $2 each.... they then turn and sell a CT for 6 dollars and a VT for 4 dollars... even if half of the bettas die, they still make a decent profit... or at least break even
Old 02-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #30 
fishyfishfish425

thank you SO much! i'll keep you posted! :)
fishyfishfish425 is offline   Reply With Quote