Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 
LittleFishy531

please help my fish treating for popeye

Hi, I am new to bettafish.com and new(ish) to betta keeping. I bought a male halfmoon betta at petco on January 19. When I bought him he had one bigger cloudy eye I asked about it but they said it was normal because he was "fancy" Anyway I hopped on google the next day and realized he was sold to me sick and had popeye. I got maracyn 2 and treated him for five days. That didn't work so I did aquarium salt the next day, but then found this site about bettas and learned about epsom salt. This is my 8th day of salt, 7th of epsom and there is no progress. I started on 1tsp and worked up to 3 tsp. I don't know what to do next. I don't have the heart to return him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon hospital tank. (5.5 gallon was set up today but not in use yet)
What temperature is your tank? n/a
Does your tank have a filter? no (new tank does)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no (new tank does)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets & bettamin
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets and a flake or two of bettamin daily. he mostly just spits out his food these past few days instead of eating it.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 3 tsp epsom salt, betta dechlorinater

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he has gotten paler and lost some body color. his body is a little curved towards the back.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he sits on the bottom of the tank more often, not swimming as much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? next day
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? maracyn 2 for 5 days, epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? since purchase.
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure

The first night I got him January 19

Tonight Feb. 1

Last edited by LittleFishy531; 02-02-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added photos
LittleFishy531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #2 
LittleFishy531

The first attachment is from January 19 the first night I had him.
The second photo is a pic I took tonight after his water change.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 
Myates

Such a sweetie, poor guy.
Is there a way to get a picture of him from the top looking down on his eyes?

It sounds like you have done all you can..

How long had you tried the AQ salt?
Normally you would try Epsom first to reduce the swelling, if that doesn't work then you would move to either AQ salt, or medication.

Don't mix up the AQ and any other medication/Epsom- but go ahead and take him out of Epsom, wait 2 days, then place him in some AQ salt at 1 tsp per gallon and do the daily water changes. Keep him in there for 10 days and see where he stands then. If there has been no progress in the reduction of the size of his eye by then, then remove him from everything and allow him to swim around his tank for a week, medication/salt free to give his system time to clear itself out.

After a week, then go ahead and treat him with Epsom salt at 1 tsp/gal and use that combined with either API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, or Mardel’s Maracyn.

The popeye itself won't kill him, if it gets too swollen he may lose some vision, or lose the eye... but in the pictures I see, the swelling isn't that bad right now.

Right now though I'm concerned there may be an underlying issue that is causing the fluid built up in his eye, since the popeye wouldn't cause the curvature. The color loss could be due to stress and him being ill with the infection of his eye.
Lets just hope it's something simple as popeye.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 
LittleFishy531

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate the help.

I did the AQ salt for 1 full day, @ 1tsp per gallon before switching to the epsom. Do I keep him in his 1 gallon non heated bowl or do I move him to the heated filtered tank. How would that work with the 100% daily water changes?
I also haven't seen him poop at all, but he is not having any of the symptoms of SBD that I have read about. Should I be concerned? Sometimes he is on the bottom of the tank in a lopsided manor but he has no issues swimming.

I have attached some pictures I took today without flash. I took them from the top and side angle.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 
Myates

Go ahead and move him to his heated home for next few days to allow him to clean out his system and de-stress before you try anything else.

In all honesty, his eyes don't look too bad, size wise. But I believe that he is blind in his right eye. It may have been damaged prior to you getting him, or it is a birth defect. I noticed it on your first set of pictures, but wasn't sure whether it was the flash or lighting that caused the cataract looking eye.

You will always see a bubble around the eyes.. it may be bigger then what I am noticing in life.

Epsom didn't make the swelling go down, next step would be AQ salt for 10 days.. if that doesn't work, then I would just leave him be for at least a week before trying anything else. The eye is most likely blind, and if so it's permanent. The water changes and the different treatments may be stressing him right now, causing the lethargy and laying on the bottom. And if he hasn't been eating lately, then he won't have waste to be expelling. No bloating, so I wouldn't worry about constipation at this point.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #6 
LittleFishy531

I moved him to his heated tank a little while ago. He's exploring and flaring at his reflection. I'm going to take your advice and leave him be for a few days before going the AQ salt route.

I think he has gone blind in that eye too since it is pretty much completely glossed over. I just wish I knew why it was swollen. Will the swelling ever go away? His other eye looks perfect and hasn't changed at all.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #7 
gossipgirl1031

I agree with Myates. It looks like he may be blind in that eye, but as long as it isn't causing major problems, should be okay.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #8 
LittleFishy531

My fish has taken a turn for the worse. He is laying on his side on the bottom of his tank barely breathing. His color is pretty much gone, he looks grey. I feel so bad for the little guy I just got back home after being out all day. I even stopped and got him some freeze dried bloodworms on the way home to try and spruce up his appetite.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #9 
LittleFishy531

I'm sad to announce that my fish didn't make it.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, no! I'm sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote