Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #1 
emeraldamykate

What else can I put in a 10 gallon with a male Betta?

I currently have a 10 gallon divided in 3, but with only two Betta's. I'm thinking about removing the dividers and giving one Betta his own 5 gallon setup and keeping one in the 10 gallon, and possibly adding other fish. What all can I put in with him?
Also, is there anything else I can put in a 5 gallon with a Betta? Probably not, huh?

Adding another random thing, fish keeping is kind of addicting, huh? I started with two Betta's a couple of weeks ago, and I was up to four for a couple of days, but sadly one died. But ever since I got my first two, I've just been thinking of ways I can expand! I just can't think of this as a hobby, it's more like an addiction! Lol.
emeraldamykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

In the 5 gallons your options are basically a snail or a few shrimpies. The shrimpies depend on your betta's personality. Some think they are a tasty snack. lol I own netrite snails and they are awesome. :) Cool colours, too!

For the 10 Gallons you could do:
-4 cories (I LOVE those little buggers lol)
-6 pygmy cories
-6 neon tetras (can get nippy and are very sensitive to water ph)
-5 ember tetras
-5 harlequin rasboras
-4 endler's livebearers
-maybe a trio of platys.

Cories, endler's and embers are the safest bets though.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1 to what Maisy has said, but you can easily have more embers than you would neons, as embers are smaller. Up to 8 embers would work just fine.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 
JKfish

I'm not sure if your tank is cycled or not. If it is, I say you have a lot of options, and Maisy gave great advice. However, I personally feel that tetras and rasboras need 20 gallons, simply due to the fact that they are so active, but people have had it work wonderfully for them before- it's all about personal experiences and your fish's personalities.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I'm with you all the way on that one, JK. :) Embers are the only tetras I'd want to keep in a 10 gallon because they are smaller than other species and a heck of a lot less active. :)
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
frostynsnowflake118

I agree with fish keeping being addicting... we went from one 5 gallon goldfish to a 15 gallon tropical community tank, a 10 gallon sorority, 2 2.5 gallon male tanks and a fry tank... in just a little over 2 months.
We just keep a snail in with the one male, and at first poor mr. snail got picked on a lot, but the fish eventually lost interest and went back to playing with that oh so interesting thermometer
frostynsnowflake118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I wasn't sure how big ember's were, so I kinda guessed on them. lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #8 
Haruki

This was exactly what I was looking for. I have two 10 gallons with a single betta in them and I thought that it'd be cool to have something else in there as well. I really like the look of Endler's Livebearers and I might get them for one tank.
Haruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Endlers are so gorgeoous. The males are absolute rainbows - so tiny and cute!