Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Wanting to get a 5 gallon have a few questions and looking for tank

So I have never had a 5 gallon and looking for one for Arashi. I have special decor planned around him, and being he is a big fish I want a big tank for him. The third part of the divided is just blah and won't suit him. (He is going to be spoiled.) I actually plan on two 5 gallons as I also want one for blinky as for a while now I thought the 2.5 was a little small. Walmart sells big fish!

So now I am looking for tanks, the cheaper the better. They must be from walmart, petco, or petsmart. They can be sets or non.

What are the advantages to cycling a 5 gallon? If I were to cycle would I have to do 100% changes? Also how long does it take to cycle a 5 gallon? If I were to NOT get a tank with a filter and not cycle the tank what would water changes look like?

What is the best, but fairly cheap heaters? While tetra is cheap after getting them for my 10g I am sick of them. These can be from above stores or online.

Would it be possible to put like shrimp or something in with them or would it be to big for the bioload?

Thank you!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I own this tank and it's great! For a heater I use the 50W Topfin heater. Both are available at petsmart (top-fin is petsmart's brand lol
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...278&lmdn=Brand
Great tank, but I'd baffle the filter if I were you. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

Thanks. I have that in the 2.5g version and I like it. Thanks for the suggestion. I put Arashi in the divided 10g and he is very stressed, but it's all I have at the moment...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #4 
mcdeezy25

I have a Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 kit I got from PetSmart for 40 bucks. It comes with an incandescent light and super quiet filter. After loads of research, I highly recommend SafeStart by Tetra for cycling your tank. Half of the small bottle (3.5 oz) will cycle your 5 gallon tank in 24hrs instead of the 3-5 weeks of the fishless cycle. One of the reasons you cycle your tank is so you don't have to do 100% water changes. A 25% change weekly is plenty for your cycled 5 gallon tank. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FILTER AND DONT CYCLE you will have to do 100% water changes and your tank will have a hard time achieving cycle. The bottle of SafeStart goes for 14bucks and it is WELL worth the money.

As far as heaters go, I got a great little 25w heater at Wal-Mart for 15 bucks. It isn't adjustable but according to my thermometer it keeps the water temp. at a steady 78F. I would stray from the cheaper Betta Pads. Best wishes to you and your fishes!!
mcdeezy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Just bear in mind that if you ever want live plants, you'd have to change that incandescent light for a flourescent.

TSS is a well-recommended brand, but be careful - test the water to make sure it is cycling properly, because bacterial additives do not always work. They are great if you need to get a tank cycled quickly, but if you have time to do it properly I would. If you do it fishlessly, it will take about 6 weeks (without any additives). Do it fish-in, and it will take a bit longer because the water changes needed to keep your fish safe slow the process down.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

I have cycled a 10g successfully, so not to worried about it. I think I found the tank I want if it's the same price as online at walmart and my walmart carries it. And I have those walmart heaters. I have 2 of the 10 gallon ones in 1 ten gallon. I hate them. I was at petsmart and they have the topfin heaters on sale this month. Going to try and get a few before the sale ends.
Thanks for the tips on cycling. While I have the time Arashi doesn't like being in the tank with other fish so I want to get him out as soon as possible. So I may try that day cycling and see how it goes. If I were to do that how often would I need to test/ change water that day?
Also won't be getting life plants as both tanks will be color schemed.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 
AcrimoniousArbiter

This is how my 5 gallon is set up.

The tank is great quality, especially considering the price!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=89018
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #8 
a123andpoof

Yep! Thats the one I want! My sister loved to look of it, so I agreed and can't beat the price. I just hope they have them in stalk.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #9 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Even if they aren't in stock, it cost me $1 to have it shipped to my doorstep

I think you can also have them ship it free to your store, then you pick it up when it gets there.
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #10 
a123andpoof

Okay. Have to see! Thanks!