Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #1 
SuzKelly

Help Please - Adopted a Betta from Friend

Hello there. So my daughter's friend is leaving the county for a few months and gave her betta to us to care for (and keep). Poor thing has been living in a stupid little bowl!!!! I went to PetSmart last night and got a 5 gallon tank kit - and a heater. Set it up last night so it could cycle. Question is - how should I move the fishy from it's bowl into the tank? Should I get a bag or what? Lost here....I wish I could just put her in there NOW so she can swim FREE!!! LOL. I have no idea how long her previous owner had her.

also, have never had a betta before - but I have been doing all the reading online about them I can since last night.
SuzKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #2 
mcdeezy25

I know what you mean I wanted to let my guy swim free as soon as he got home! My suggestion is since you have a 5 gallon tank (which is big enough to cycle) go buy a small bottle of SafeStart by Tetra and put half the bottle in your tank. Keep your betta in the bowl for the next 24 hours, it won't kill him and the SafeStart will have time to cycle your tank magically in 24 hours instead of waiting 3-5 weeks. When it's time to put him in the tank, put him in a bag or small container and float it in your tank for 15 mins so the temperature of the water in the bag/container equalizes with your tank temp. this will reduce the shock of entering your tank.
mcdeezy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #3 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzKelly View Post
Hello there. So my daughter's friend is leaving the county for a few months and gave her betta to us to care for (and keep). Poor thing has been living in a stupid little bowl!!!! I went to PetSmart last night and got a 5 gallon tank kit - and a heater. Set it up last night so it could cycle. Question is - how should I move the fishy from it's bowl into the tank? Should I get a bag or what? Lost here....I wish I could just put her in there NOW so she can swim FREE!!! LOL. I have no idea how long her previous owner had her.

also, have never had a betta before - but I have been doing all the reading online about them I can since last night.
http://nippyfish.net/bettas-101/acclimation/
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 
SuzKelly

Thanks, guys! Well, before I saw these replies I headed out to run some errands and I stopped by Petsmart and bought some betta water conditioner and got a bag from them for transferring. I came home - conditioned the water with 1/2 the amount that it calls for - since I had used regular dechlorinator last night. Poured her into the bag and let the sit in the tank for about 20 min. After 20 min, let her out and she started to explore right away. She is a very healthy looking fish - I'll have to find out how long the previous owner had her. I am calling it a her because the color isn't very vibrant at all - but she's a very pretty fish - pretty fins. It's been an hour now since the transfer and don't see any signs of her being stressed - so I hope this is a very positive thing.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Pictures? :) That will help us figure out her gender for definite. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #6 
SuzKelly

Boy it's tough to get a clear shot of a fish! but here goes....

Attached Images

Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 
tpocicat

Male veil tail. He looks healthy, may color up more once he feels safe in his new home.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 
SuzKelly

OH Good - thank so much or replying!! Well guess he needs a new name then...right now my daughter is calling him Betty. lol
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #9 
flowerslegacy

Hi SuzKelly - Welcome to the forum. I want to touch upon your new 5 gallon in regards to cycling. Tetra's Safestart is a live bacteria product created to eliviate the process of having to "cycle" your new tank. There are many live bacteria products on the market but there is also a lot of controversy regarding the efficiency of these products as well. Since your tank is new, it is best to test your water parameters over the next 30 to 60 days to be safe. You can either purchase your own freshwater liquid kit, or you can simply bring in a small baggie of tank water to your local Petsmart and they'll check it for you. There is a great article listed on this site under "Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats & Accessories". You'll find the article named "A Beginners Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle". I reccomend you read it and get an idea of what will be required for your new fishy friend. This will include regular water changes, rinsing the filter, different types of water conditioners and water temperatures. This is a great site for bettas and it's a wealth of information. It's important during the beginning of a new tank set up to check your water parameters because they can quickly reach lethal levels if the Tetra Safestart doesn't kick start the cycling process. He's a beautiful boy by the way. Bettas tend to lose a little color when they're stressed out so I'm sure you've seen some beautiful colors in him since he's settled in to his new home. We look forward to know his new name. Welcome to the fun hobby of the incredible betta fish!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #10 
BettaChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
Just wanted to make a note about this acclimation post. It advises you to adjust the pH levels.

I've been advised by other members not to use the pH Up or pH down solutions!! Adjusting the pH levels can be even more dangerous to your little buddy! I was disappointed when I first got my tank and checked the pH (it was at 7.6). I was told to let my betta adjust himself to the pH levels, because they will end up adjusting. As long as the pH isn't around 6 or 8.

Actually, I ended up buying some small live water plants (Anubias nana, Crypts, and a Moss Ball) and when I checked the pH today, it was exactly at 7.0!! Perfect! If you feel the need to adjust the pH, try throwing a little plant in! I only have a small 2.5 gal and they all fit well.

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote