Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #1 
Leah Marissa

New Betta is very agressive. Help?

I just got a new red veil tail betta, Steve, yesterday at a pet store. On the way home in the car, he swam around in a circle (bulldozing the gravel in the process) so fast that a whirlpool formed in the container. I figured he was just nervous since he was a new addition at the pet store the day before. After getting him home and putting him in his new 1/2 gallon tank, he's still attacking the gravel and sides of the tank. It's like he's having convulsions or something. Will he calm down soon, or does he just have a violent personality?

My blue crowntail betta, George, is calm and always happy to see me. He's never violent like Steve. George has been floating to the top of his tank (seemingly involuntarily) since yesterday. The two fish cant see each other. It is a bit odd that they're both acting strange now, though.

I'm kinda new to owning bettas. Any advice?
Leah Marissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
wolfiegreen

Well for starters you need something bigger. a 1/2 gallon is like me locking you in a bathroom the rest of your life. It doesnt sound like hes being aggressive there would be more flaring, sounds like hes freaked out
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 
chrissylee13

yeah, a half gallon is a little small.. unless it's a temporary home or you're treating him.

but he does sound freaked out. i would suggest having him in a dark place but heated. should probably invest in a bigger tank and heater.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

+1 on the 1/2 gallon. It can be a good starter tank for a fish not used to big spaces, but you will need to upgrade him as soon as possible. :)
Until Steve is calm, leave any tank lights he may have off and cover the tank with a towel, leaving an opening for air to get in. The darkness may help settle him down. Do leave some space for him to see you and vice versa, though. Being in a quiet place to start may also help. :)

Hope he settles down soon! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skittish betta