What size is your tank? 2.65 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Try to twice a day!

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Saturday when I got him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea, he is from a pet store

I got my Betta, Firefly, on Saturday. He seemed fine! Was flaring at my finger, and swimming in his cup. I did some research on here when my other Betta fish died days after getting her, so I set up the bigger tank I had and got a heater I let it cycle for a day before getting Firefly, and when I got him I let him sit in his cup, in the tank for a few hours before releasing him. Right away he went and hid in the rock bridge I have. Now he comes out, but will hide if I get too close to the tank. He also doesn't really swim... it's almost like he is floating around. My sister's Betta swims like crazy all the time! Firefly also hasn't eaten since I have had him, I have been trying but the pellets just sit there, so I remove them after a few hours. I try feeding him when he's on the top, but he has 0 interest in the food! I even tried flakes I am at a loss of what to do now, and saw another thread with a Betta that acted the same, and it ended up passing. Do you think Firefly is sick, or just shy? Any tips as to what to do?
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Did you acclimate him to the chemistry too by adding some of the tank water to the holding container-did you add any of the pet shop water to the tank....

Right now-I would make a 50% water only change using like temp double dosed dechlorinated water-turn off the light for 24h and see if he perks up...

In a 2.65gal unfiltered tank I would recommend twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% and be sure you properly acclimate him to both the chemistry and temp with the 100% by adding small amount of the new tank water to the holding container over 10-15 min or to his tolerance....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #3 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Did you acclimate him to the chemistry too by adding some of the tank water to the holding container-did you add any of the pet shop water to the tank....

Right now-I would make a 50% water only change using like temp double dosed dechlorinated water-turn off the light for 24h and see if he perks up...

In a 2.65gal unfiltered tank I would recommend twice weekly water changes...1-50% and 1-100% and be sure you properly acclimate him to both the chemistry and temp with the 100% by adding small amount of the new tank water to the holding container over 10-15 min or to his tolerance....

Keep us posted....
I did acclimate him by adding some of the tank water to his cup, and no I did not put any of the pet store water in, I was told this was a major no no! I changed the water like you said, and he has no light I just open my blinds for him. Alright I will do that next time he needs a water change! I'm going to try breaking a pellet up tonight and see if that helps... I'm pretty worried
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Good deal...you are correct-you don't want to add any of the pet shop water to the tank.....since you properly acclimated him it may just be an adjustment period right now....and good that you are offering food then removing uneaten food within a reasonable time....

Keep us post...
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 
JBosley

I decided to move him into a smaller tank, as he wasn't looking good this evening! Looks duller in color. Seems a bit perked up in the smaller tank though Hoping to try feeding him before bed and then again in the morning. Fingers crossed that he eats soon....
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #6 
JBosley

Ugh! He STILL isn't eating...his tank information stays the same. I did move him into a tank with NOTHING in it but a plant for him to hide it to keep it more "steril". He just kinda floats around, doesn't really swim. Have tried 2 different pellets, one is very very small and I have tried bloodworms as well. Nothing seems to entice him! Getting very worried about Firefly... if anyone has any advice that'd be great.

Here's a picture! Sorry about the quality....
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

How many days has it been.....
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 
JBosley

It has been 8 days
Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon for them to go weeks without eating, however, I would try different food or try rolling the pellets in fresh crushed garlic juice and if you have access to mosquito larva-offer some rinsed to see if the live food will stimulate his hunting/feeding instinct.....

Also, if you haven't already make 25-50% water only change and see if that will perk him up and get him eating....

Other than not eating how is he acting/behaving....and water temp still at 78F...correct....
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its not uncommon for them to go weeks without eating, however, I would try different food or try rolling the pellets in fresh crushed garlic juice and if you have access to mosquito larva-offer some rinsed to see if the live food will stimulate his hunting/feeding instinct.....

Also, if you haven't already make 25-50% water only change and see if that will perk him up and get him eating....

Other than not eating how is he acting/behaving....and water temp still at 78F...correct....
I'll try rolling the pellets in fresh crushed garlic juice. I can pick up some mosquito larva from a friend who has then for his fish

I have been doing 25-50% water changed every day, and 100% water changes every 3rd day. He is still just floating around, not moving much, hanging at the top of the tank