Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1 
BlueShark

Quick dumb question :)

I have read a lot of posts and learned a lot of things but I'm not sure I've seen the answer to this question anywhere....

When you do a 50% water change, do you leave your fish in the tank? I have been taking him out and putting him in his cup but I feel like it stresses him out (2x/week). I guess staying in the tank might stress him out too but I was wondering what you more experienced fish folks do? Thanks for the advice!
BlueShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 
MandiceP

If you have a gravel siphon to use when you do this water change you can leave the fish in and just siphon around it. That would probably be less stressful than cupping your fish if it seems to not do so well being cupped? I leave my fish in when I do 50% tank changes. Hope this helps!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 
BlueShark

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to overstate the problem. I know he's stressed because he gets stripey in the cup but as soon as he's back in the tank, he has no adjustment time and he's fine so it's not causing any long term problems or anything. I was just wondering if it was better to keep him in the tank. I guess the biggest risk is the temp change with adding new water? But I have been doing pretty well at keeping that very consistent. I think I may try it and see how it works for him.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Honestly, I leave mine in but I cup out 50% and then I put the water back in with an airline hose. It fills up slowly, not enough to stress them.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #5 
BlueShark

I replaced the water with him in the tank yesterday and it was much better--for him and for me! Siphoned it out and cupped the new conditioned water back into the tank. He got weird and stripey when I turned on the filter because it made so much noise (I forgot to add water to get it started at first) but this is a much better system than removing him to a cup for partial water changes. It didn't seem to bother him when the water was low--he was very curious and swimming all around.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #6 
Myates

One thing to be careful when doing fish-in large changes such as 50%, make sure that the temp of the water you are replacing is within a degree of the water in the tank- even just a few degrees off could cause him to go into shock and not be able to recover from it. Use a thermometer and a bucket or large pitcher to get the right temp and mix in the water conditioner before adding it to the tank.

Not saying he will go into shock each time, but it's a gamble if you're not careful.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #7 
BlueShark

Yes, I am super careful about temp with new water and I condition the bucket before adding the new water to the tank. Even when he was not in for the change, I tried to get the temp very close so he could transition back to the tank more quickly.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #8 
Gen2387

It depends on the fish. I always cup my Admiral when I do water changes. When I leave him in the tank (even if I'm only using the gravel vacuum) he freaks out and swims everywhere frantically. So I cup him and put him back in after. He's less stressed that way. So it really depends on the fish. You should try leaving him in the tank and just be a little careful when you siphon out the water and put the new water in.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #9 
scootshoot

Yes, I leave mine in tanks at all times, less stress for them.

Get yourself two same size buckets at walmart. One for tank water and the other for replenishment water. Siphon the tank water into the bucket up to the same water line level your new bucket water is at, then dump the new water into the tank (this will make it easier to stay close to the water line level of your tank).

Also it's good habit to let the new water inside the bucket sit a day or two in your fish room to allow it to reach room temperature....reduces temperature shock or the need to do the finger under the faucet to guess temperature method.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

I have a spare submersible heater I put into my buckets to bring them to the same temp as my tanks :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote