Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #1 
copperarabian

Anyone else have a overstock aquarium that work?

It's weird how sometimes these work out, while other times they fail miserably. And before anyone gets mad, I know several of these fish will grow out this aquarium and they have options already lined up for when this happens.

16g bow front

7 -female bettas
1 -African Butterfly fish
1- Blue Gourami, who won't be a permanent resident.
1 -bamboo shrimp(I think, I couldn't find him this morning but he hides really good)
1 -otocinclus, when my gourami moves to another aquarium I'll buy him some buddies.
1 -1" long fin bristlenose
1 -2" bristle nose, letting him grow up some so I can put him with my cichlids

In my opinion a over stocked aquarium can only happen in a tank that is designed so they feel they are in a bigger space because there's more to explore but not over crowding the space with objects.

The large plant in the back is a tiger lotus, it grows extremely fast and eats up ammonia. The amazon swords don't get nearly enough light and stay small in size which I think is actually pretty. Java moss, and some long thin grass like plants which appear to not do well because of the light. floating anacharis, 2 anubias, marimo moss ball.

In the back right corner there is a 20g internal filter
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Well my sorority was considered overstocked with 11 females in 10 gallons (although it is probably only 8-9 once you take out the substrate and plants).

I have never had a problem with water quality or stress-related diseases because I have had it heavily planted from the start. I use lots of stems to eat up ammonia and other nutrients, as well as create separate areas of cover for my fish.

As long as your fish are compatible and you have the filtration capacity to deal with the waste produced, it's not as horrendous as a lot of people might think.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #3 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Well my sorority was considered overstocked with 11 females in 10 gallons (although it is probably only 8-9 once you take out the substrate and plants).

I have never had a problem with water quality or stress-related diseases because I have had it heavily planted from the start. I use lots of stems to eat up ammonia and other nutrients, as well as create separate areas of cover for my fish.

As long as your fish are compatible and you have the filtration capacity to deal with the waste produced, it's not as horrendous as a lot of people might think.

I feel the same why, if you have experience in fish keeping and understand the biology of the tank and keep up maintenance it's fince as long as you don't over due it :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 
MistersMom

Mines "overstocked" i have a 10 gal, with 2 males and 4 females, but they have plent of room? >.< i don't feel its overstocked at all, but every one else does, so ill get another 10 gal eventually.... this was right after i divided it and did a water change..... from left to right its.... my 4 females, sister,bell, no name, and no name, then its my male Mister and my other male sir.
Attached Images

Last edited by MistersMom; 02-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Mine is overstocked. I have 4 cories, 12 Endlers (several of whom are pregnant...oh noes!), 5 ember tetras and 6 female bettas in my 16 gallon, plus a colony of RCS. But, I do 25% water changes every second day, it is really heavily planted and I'm running a Fluval U1 and a U2 in there, so I think I'm ok for now. :) It isn't ideal, but then, I really hope it isn't permanent, either.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote