Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #1 
LittleFishy531

Question about tap water

I am sort of new to betta keeping. I used to have fish when I was younger but mostly a parent did all the work. My question is about conditioning/dechlorinating the water. Is it nessecary to dechlorinate the water add something for slime coat if the water sits out for over 24 hours? I have been adding aqua safe to my water when I fill my gallon jugs up.
LittleFishy531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

It is a good idea. (You don't need to sit the water for 24 hours - that will generally put it down to room temperature, which is too cold for your betta. Try to make it the same temperature as your tank water). In 24 hours chorine will evaporate, but chloramines take two weeks to go and heavy metals will never dissipate. And sometimes, a dead cat will fall into the water supply and the city will dump in a double dose of chlorine to purify it.
Long story short, always use dechlorinator. :) When you run out of Aquasafe, see if you can get Prime. It's super. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #3 
scootshoot

Better to be safe then sorry. If you want the biggest bang for the buck in terms of water conditioner, go with PRIME. Most other brands require you to toss in capfuls which won't last very long. PRIME is concentrated and the directions state 2 drops per gallon so will last you a very very long time. Most of the users on this board use PRIME as well.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #4 
LittleFishy531

Thanks for the input. I will see if I can get Prime next time I am at Petco or Petsmart. I usually get my aqua safe or jungle water dechlorinater at Walmart.
LittleFishy531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
And sometimes, a dead cat will fall into the water supply and the city will dump in a double dose of chlorine to purify it.
Long story short, always use dechlorinator. :) When you run out of Aquasafe, see if you can get Prime. It's super. :)
Now I never want to bath in city water again. hahahaha!
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #6 
Myates

Most water conditioners work immediately- just give the water a swish after putting some in- so no sitting out is needed.

Each person has their preferences on water conditioners- this may help you find one that fits you- Water conditioner info
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #7 
1fishBlueFish

I got these water conditioners

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77342-Be...711521&sr=8-14

I have a 2 gallon Hex tank. Are those good enough for now? I don't want to throw them away if they are good. But I will get something else next time
1fishBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #8 
Geomancer

Any water conditioner is fine, provided it says on the box that it removes chlorine AND chloramine. The brand you get is all personal preference.

Some have added affects like detoxifying ammonia which is helpful for people who have ammonia in their tap water, Prime is one of these. Using a liquid test kit will tell you if your tap water contains ammonia (or nitrite and nitrate). If you water is 0 ppm ammonia ... use whatever you have.

Caution: The detoxification of ammonia is only short term (24-48 hours) so you still need a cycled tank to process that ammonia, it is not a substitute to having a cycled aquarium.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #9 
1fishBlueFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Any water conditioner is fine, provided it says on the box that it removes chlorine AND chloramine. The brand you get is all personal preference.

Some have added affects like detoxifying ammonia which is helpful for people who have ammonia in their tap water, Prime is one of these. Using a liquid test kit will tell you if your tap water contains ammonia (or nitrite and nitrate). If you water is 0 ppm ammonia ... use whatever you have.

Caution: The detoxification of ammonia is only short term (24-48 hours) so you still need a cycled tank to process that ammonia, it is not a substitute to having a cycled aquarium.
Thank you. I tested our tap water and there is no ammonia in the water itself.

The little things I have are for tanks up to 2 gallons and it says

'Neutralizes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals'

So I think I'm good. I'm in the process of cycling my tank now :) I can't wait to get a fishy
1fishBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #10 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post

Very true.

With the number of partial water changes any responsible fishkeeper will make over time, most like me will prefer bang for the buck products that last awhile.

Thus, 2 drops per gallon > ALL
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote