Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
birdnerd

New to forum

Hello,
I have a question for any of you experts that might know the answer. I bought a baby Betta about 3 months ago from Petco, turns out to be a female, I named her Sakana, and I was wondering if anyone could identify her species for me and tell me why she has stripes? I love her to death, she is happy in a 15 gallon aquarium, very active with lots of color, but I've never seen a Betta with stripes. Thanks to anyone that can answer. P.S I'm having trouble attaching a picture to this post, I will upload a picture to my profile please feel free to view it there. Thank you.
birdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 
BellasMomma

looks like stress stripes to me. My female had them too. has she just recently got them? My female got them when I moved her from a 1 gal to a 10gal. She was just overwhelmed with all the space. Once I divided my tank in 2 and put more plants the stripes went away. Lots of people on here said their bettas didn't like the big open space either. Are there other fish in the tank with her that may be bothering her? If you have her in the tank by herself and you recently put her in there give it a couple days to see if she chills out...
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Some females will retain stress stripes even when not truly stressed. My little girl Circe has been with me a few months now and is far from being stressed, but has never lost the stripes.
These stripes are horizontal, yes? If they a vertical, it means she is conditioned to breed.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #4 
birdnerd

Thank you, I'm fairly sure she is a happy fish and far from stressed. She is very active, plays in the air bubbles, eats very well, and her color is brilliant. I'm sure she was at one point stressed, but after adding her to my 15 gallon tank, you can tell she is much happier. This helps a lot, and I just have one more question, can you tell what type of Betta she is? I'm guessing veiltail or crowntail but she really doesn't meet either characteristic with her tail or fin shapes. I'm stumped. Thanks again for both of your inputs.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #5 
Hanky

welcome
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Can you get a picture of her flaring? :)

These links may help you too. http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...articleid=1063
http://aquaticpassion.animal-world.c...?showtopic=879
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #7 
Myates

She may be a cross of both, which would be comb.. but I think she is crowntail, I believe I see the startings of it on her tail and the tip of her dorsal. Once she is a little older you will know for sure- as sometimes they are late bloomers and the tail types (or even the sexes on some occasions) aren't known til much later.

She may not lose the stripes, or she may.. striping isn't always either stress or breeding.. they use them to communicate, such as the "breeding" stripes are also submissive stripes, etc. It depends on what is in the tank with her, and how much cover is there. As long as she is eating and swimming about happily and healthy then I wouldn't worry too much.

One question though- in the picture the top of her head and right before the dorsal there seems to be a lot of discoloration, possible loss of scales.. is it just the picture, or is it discolored? (I want to rule out something physically wrong that could potentially be causing her to have the striping.)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #8 
birdnerd

She has always had the pale spot on her back, I assumed it was just her coloring. I have examined as closely as I can and her scales seem to be in tact. That is just the color of them.
There is a lot of cover in the tank and she is housed with other fish that don't pay any attention to her at all. There is a reflection on the inside of the tank glass that she seems to chase around from time to time, but most of all she is a little piggy and is constantly swimming around searching for leftovers. She doesn't seem to hide in any of the plants or decor at all, just swims around all the time investigating every square inch of the tank.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #9 
Myates

She is still young, and she may like, yet not like, a large tank with other fish.. if she is swimming just fine, eating healthy then I wouldn't worry about it. Give her some more time to grow up and see where she is then. 3-7 months they are growing, and continue to "fill out" in a since.. their fins don't usually mature until about 7 months of age.. and if she is roughly 4 months, she is still in her prime.
She may just be using her stripes as camo while she explores. She may just be a sensitive girl, even if she isn't hiding, she may still be unsure of her tank mates.
What other fish are in there with her?

If she has always had that color, then I wouldn't worry about it unless it spreads over her body and she looses color all over, or the patches turns red such as if inflamed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #10 
birdnerd

Her tank mates are 3 neon tetras an albino bristle nose pleco, and 3 guppies. All of them seem to do their own thing. None of them bother anyone else. The tetras stay in a little group, the guppies stay in a little group, the betta does her own thing and the pleco does his own thing. I am considering starting a sorority, do you know much about them? Maybe she would be more comfortable with her own kind?