Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 
asharerin

Bad case of torn fins - how to proceed?

Hello,

We have had our half moon betta for 6 weeks now. He was in a 20 gallon tank, cycled, no other tank mates, filter and heated to 78-80 degrees, but no salt added. We have been feeding him bio-gold pellets, fasting 1 day a week, giving a pea another day per week.

We noticed his fins we raggedy 2 days ago and then missing a large chunk yesterday. We have alot of fake plastic plants. I am assuming they were ripped by the plants as I have not seem him bite his own fins ever. I opened the filter last night and sure enough his missing chunk of fin was in there and fell into the tank...it was promptly eaten by our betta! Right now I have him in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank with aquarium salt added and no other ornaments or substrate. He seems completely fine, color is good, eating well and very active.

The problem is we do not have a heater for this small of tank and was wondering if I should just remove the plastic plants and ornaments from the 20 gallon tank, do a 25% water change, add the required salt and let him loose. Last night the 2.5 gallon tank he is in dropped 10 degrees overnight. Other option would be to leave him in there doing daily water changed and try a 7.5 watt heater. Hoping to get some advice...this is our first betta and first fish in many, many years.

If the large tank is a good idea how often should I do the water changes...we have been doing 25% per week? If the small tank seems the better idea how long should we keep him in there...his fins are badly damaged so it seems like it would take a few months for them to grow back to me.
asharerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes with the long heavy fin males-the space and water movement/filter can be a cause of fin damage-some males delicate fins never can handle it....kinda like the flag in the wind effect.....

Some male have to be maintain in smaller tanks with limited to no water movement in order to keep their fins intact...not all-but some more than others.....

I would get the 2.5gal setup, add the heater to maintain at least 76F-no filter or water movement and no plastic plants-either silk or real and keep him in this until he heals up......

In the 2.5gal unfiltered tank-water changes of twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality and help prevent secondary infection

Nutrition is really important-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed for one meal a day to increase protein.

Since this is new damage-I would skip the salt-but if you do use it... dosed at 2tsp/gal and don't use it for longer than 10 days....

IMO-it is best to use small bare QT containers (like the small temporary cups they are sold in) and premix the treatment water and add a tannin source-like IAL or dried Oak leaf-by premixing and use of QT this gives you more control and ease of making the needed frequent water changes-(be sure to attach it to the side of a heated tank to maintain temp and so the QT doesn't sink) Be sure to properly acclimate to the new chemistry of the treatment water.....

Can you post pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 
asharerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Can you post pics.....
Here he is. We got a heater tonight and will keep him in the unfiltered 2.5 gallon until he heals.
Attached Images

asharerin is offline   Reply With Quote