Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #11 
a123andpoof

Hey I don't know if you do, but if you have a petperks card, or were to sign up for one petmart has heaters on sale for $15. But you need the card in order to get the discount, though I think they are only a few dollars more without. If you can't find new walmart usually has cheap setups to!
And love your little guys! Glad you saved them from walmart!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #12 
Gen2387

I think they'll be fine for the week in that bowl.
So general rule is about 2.5 gallon per betta. If you go with a 5gallon divided it's good and if you go with a 10gallon divided it's even better. For the divider, it's easier AND cheaper to make one yourself. There's a sticky somewhere on this site that explains how to do it. You just buy some crafting mesh for about 2$ at wal-mart and something something for the sides and you can glue it with aquarium silicone to the side so it'll fit perfectly.

You'll also need a heater AND thermometer (preferably not one of those that stick on the outside of the tank.) because bettas are tropical and need to be in water between 76 and 80.

A filter is good (especialy if it's a divided tank) but not obligatory. It'll help keep the water a little clearer and cleaner but you'll still need to do at least one 50% water chance a week preferably with gravel vaccuming if you have one. If you don't, they're quite cheap and useful, I'd get one.

Good luck with your new fishies!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #13 
AcrimoniousArbiter

I know this doesn't directly apply to your situation, but you can take from this what you can:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=89018
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #14 
freemike

Alright went to petsmart to get a list of everything.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=10868052 filtered/heated tank
12.99 Clear divider
5.99 for 5lb tank gravel
various plants to decorate and camouflage divider and 2 smooth caves

Does this seem like a good set up? Also do I need a gravel vacuum and what is it for? Could I upgrade the tank to a black light or does that bother the betta?

Also I did a 50% water change tonight. The blue fish is acting lethargic and not eating nearly as much as the red one (really hope the guy makes it). The red fish had a bubble nest around his part of the tank and since the last feeding/water change has been acting skiddish and darting all over the place.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #15 
Bombalurina

I would definitely get a gravel vacuum if you can. They serve the dual purpose of siphoning out water (much easier than scooping it) and they suck gunge up out of your gravel at the same time.
Not sure about black lights, but if you want live plants at any point, you want a standard flourescent tube.

I suspect your blue guy is probably cold. I would wrap a towel around the tank to trap warmth in and place it high up inside an enclosed space like a wardrobe or cupboard. The heat will rise and warm the tank, and the towel will trap it in. Continue with 50% water changes every day.

Definitely prioritise with what you buy if you are a little stuck for money. Get that tank kit first, and make your own divider using the tutorial in the forum. It is much cheaper. If you need to hold off on buying other stuff, don't bother with gravel yet - you can go with a bare-bottomed tank as long as you need. For now, coffee cups with make good hiding places if you can't afford decor. After all, these guys are used to seeing each other in a much smaller space. You can also get your child to build some caves for the fish with clean lego. :)
So: tank and divider first, decorations second, gravel last. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

When you did the water change, did you add in water conditioner?

Almost all 23 of my bettas came from walmart (sadly most of them died trying to drive them from alaska to new york). Most just needed some clean, warm water and some time to adjust. However if the blue one does not improve or starts to do worse, start a post in the emergency and disease section. I have learned that even if the fish LOOKS ok when you buy it, it may still be sick in some way - especially if it came from walmart or petco. Ammonia builds up quick in their cups and that is usually the culprit.

Oh and if you do go with a filter, make sure you do some research on the nitrogen cycle before hand!
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #17 
freemike

http://i.imgur.com/YZwnV.jpg Tank 1 done. I added the conditioner and a product called enzyme right and was going to check the water on Sunday.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #18 
freemike

I also decided to go with a 10 gallon tank each since I heard some stories about them jumping dividers. That and I would like to get some tank mates when Larry & Joe the walmart rescues get stabilized.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #19 
a123andpoof

Very nice! You will have some spoiled boys! So glad you are able to get them in better homes!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #20 
freemike

I treated the smaller tank and both fish are starting to swim more. The blue ate better than he has the whole time here and started making bubbles around his side.