Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #1 
chrissylee13

Unhappy woke up this morning to sad fishies..

sadly, my newest addition, Cupid, passed away sometime during the night. i'm not sure how or why. i found him on the bottom of the tank. i did purchase a bin that i was able to successfully divide for him and my tail biter but now it's not needed. i took everything out and rinsed it with hot water and reset it up for just my tail biter.

and then, i noticed all 3 of my males in my 10 gallon had clamped fins. stupid heater failed me again and dropped from 78 to 74. you'd think it wouldn't bug them too much but it has. so i cupped everyone to eliminate space they had to swim and i put the original heater back in hoping that it will fix everyone. ugh. my CT is really unhappy, he's a nervous one and jumps at the sight of anything besides my face. so being in the cup and nervous isn't awesome.

the only one doing fine still is my tail biter rescue. he's tough as nails.

picture #1 is of the "bin tank" and Kilian.
picture #2 is Frosty and his clamped fins. he's healing from fin rot.
picture #3 is of Ren and his clamped fins.
picture #4 is of Ryuu and his clamped fins.

i don't know if anyone can notice they're clamped. but i know my boys and their fins don't EVER look like that.
Attached Images

chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #2 
onemanswarm

So sorry! Hope you nurse everyone back to full health quickly. This isn't the first time your heater failed like this?
onemanswarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #3 
Myates

Poor boys, they are cuties. I'm sorry for your loss :(

4 degrees is a big difference for them, to us it doesn't feel much different, to them it's a big jump. They are used to being nice and even at 78, so in the span of 8 hrs or so over night, it had gotten cold for them. It wasn't dangerously low that would of harmed them, but it was enough that they sure noticed the difference.
Hope you get everything straightened out soon.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 
chrissylee13

well, i got a new heater to replace a preset one in the 6 gallon. i figured since it was huge compared to the one in my 10 gallon i would just switch them around. welllll it didn't work so well. so i switched them back after what i found today. i'm hoping it does better in the 6 gallon. we'll see. other wise i'll be returning the new heater again and getting a different one.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Usually with any new heater, it's best to test it for a day before sitting it in a tank with live animals- that way you'll know its potential and you'll know if it'll fail you or not in the middle of the night when your asleep or whenever your away from home. I'm assuming you couldn't do that, though, since your other one failed and it's more than likely cold where your at? What kind of heaters do you have? Hope your fishies pull through!! I was kinda suprirsed to know that your fish started clamping up at a 4 degree difference, 'cause whenever I change the water to my tank (when it's really cold anyway) the water is 4 or so degrees lower since I have a heater in the tank and I don't have anything else to heat the water beforehand- but I do acclimate my fish before putting him in and he's never had any problems.... Maybe the temperature changed quickly enough to where it shocked their system?
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #6 
chrissylee13

oh yes, it's cold. the temperature fluctuations are crazy this year. and it actually didn't stay at 78* the night before either. it got up to 50* outside during the day. which is watched the heater all day and it stayed at that temp. but it dropped to 20* outside at night. and the heat wasn't on inside at all either. so first it was messed up because of how warm it generally was and then how cold it got. and then the heater messed up a 2nd night in a row. which really messed them up. so over the course of 2 days they've been stressed out and must have just had enough. so far everyone is still alive. but i did find one of my boys floating at the top of his cup as if he were dead. :[ and when i lifted the lid he moved and up-righted. but i don't know. we'll see how they look when i get home at 11am from work.

the temperature is fine though! in both tanks actually.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #7 
chrissylee13

i feel so horrible because i know i should've tested it. but i couldn't let my fish freeze. and i don't have the money for a spare heater at this time. ugh. it just stinks. and it stresses me out to see them unhappy. they give me so much joy. :[

but i guess you learn from your mistakes. :[ i'm such a bad betta mommy.

Last edited by chrissylee13; 02-04-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #8 
Draug Isilme

Don't feel bad- it was something that needed to be done, whether or not you knew it was a gamble. Personally, I think you made the right decision and there was no telling that things were gonna go for the worse- these things happen and even though it seems like a bad situation, it's still something you can learn from so you won't make the same mistake..... Hope your fish pull out fine...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #9 
onemanswarm

How's everybody doing a few days later?
onemanswarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #10 
chrissylee13

Ryuu died. he was just continuing to regress no matter what i did. the water he was in would turn yellow so fast even after changing it.

the others are a lot better. they're eating. swimming around more. my HM is still pretty clamped. but his personality is back. my VT is less clamped but he's not eating as much.