Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #1 
Connerstunt

Exclamation New betta has not ete yet.

i have a male betta. i got him last friday and he hasnt ate much..

i have pellets,freeze dried blood worms/flakes
he nibbles on his food and spits it out. hes healthy as i can tell. his color is fine his fins are fine his eyes are clear and he has no spots etc..

his tank is 4 gallons kept at 77 degrees. he has a filter and a airstone..
he is very active he seems to like the back wall quite a bit for some reason..

tomorow will make 1 week just curious on why he doesnt have much of an appetite.
Connerstunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #2 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connerstunt View Post
i have a male betta. i got him last friday and he hasnt ate much..

i have pellets,freeze dried blood worms/flakes
he nibbles on his food and spits it out. hes healthy as i can tell. his color is fine his fins are fine his eyes are clear and he has no spots etc..

his tank is 4 gallons kept at 77 degrees. he has a filter and a airstone..
he is very active he seems to like the back wall quite a bit for some reason..

tomorow will make 1 week just curious on why he doesnt have much of an appetite.
Betta's don't really need airstone... they have a labyrinth organ to breathe air from the surface.

What brand are the pellets?

Does your betta have a small mouth compared to the pellets? sometime betta spits out food because the pellets may be too big for them.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #3 
Connerstunt

i have aqueon and tetra brands.
and i just got the tetra brand today to give that a try.

and before i have tryed cutting them in half but he did the same thing.
pellets not easy to cut lol
Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #4 
Nemo Betta

I seem to have the same issue. Recently got a betta as a party favor when my 6 year-old son went to a b-day party at Petland. They put it in a little .5 gallon aquarium, then gave gave us an instruction sheet which said it needed no filtration or heater and said to feed it 2-4 pellets every 2 days. luckily i decided to do my own research and figured out all their info was garbage. anyway, he is now in a 10 gallon tank, to which i will be adding 6 cories this weekend. now that he is in the 10 gallon tank, with a filter, heater, a hollow log, and some soon to be growing live plants, he is MUUUUUCHHH more energetic.

The problem is that he does not seem to want to eat. I dried freeze-dried bloodworms, but he takes them in then spits them out a couple seconds later. then I tried Betta Pellets and he takes them in, chews them a bit, then spits them out. He will kind of chase it down when he spits it, and do the whole process again. Each time he spits it out it seems to get just a bit smaller. Is this normal behavior or should i be worried? Other than that he seems to be doing very well.
Nemo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #5 
Myates

Bettas are piggies once they are adjusted to their new homes. Sometimes it can take weeks for them to fully adjust and be comfortable enough to eat healthy. And sometimes you get ones that have no trouble eating right away. I have had a mix of both myself. Every type of food, I've tried. New Life Spectrum is a good brand to get, as most picky eaters will prefer those pellets over any others.
They won't allow themselves to starve to death (unless they are ill), so continue attempting to feed twice a day, eventually they will learn that they are only going to have what is given to them and will eat.

Breeders feed specific foods while they are young, then days to a week or so prior to shipping, they are not fed usually. And it's a toss up if they are fed while in the cups at the stores- a lot of stores won't feed them, or feed them very very little as to not dirty up the cups too much with left over food and waste.
So sometimes you are having to get them back into the habit of eating, and eating what you are offering.. add that on top of the stress of the move and into a larger home when they are used to jars and cups- that's a lot to adjust to.
I have one that has been with me for a month, and he still won't eat regularly. In fact, he refuses to eat the food until it has sunk to the bottom and softened up. I don't like doing that, as the longer the food sits in the water, the less nutrition it has, as it starts to lose it's nutritional value the minute it hits the water. But there is nothing I can do about it, just the way he is.

So don't get too worried just yet, they will eat when they are ready and it takes weeks to a month before they starve.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #6 
Connerstunt

ok i think i found the problem. he is seeing his reflection and constantly chasing it. how can i stop the reflection he is in a round tank. what should i do to stop the reflection.

i think its stressing him out.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

[quote=Nemo Betta;971654]I seem to have the same issue. Recently got a betta as a party favor when my 6 year-old son went to a b-day party at Petland. They put it in a little .5 gallon aquarium, then gave gave us an instruction sheet which said it needed no filtration or heater and said to feed it 2-4 pellets every 2 days. quote]

Bettas as party favours? :( Why are even petshops incapable of seeing past bettas as profitable decorations?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 
ohstacyann

My new guy took about a week to adjust in his new home before he started eating.

He also still spits out the pellets and kind of plays with them it seems but eventually he eats them before they start to sink.
ohstacyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 
ohstacyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connerstunt View Post
ok i think i found the problem. he is seeing his reflection and constantly chasing it. how can i stop the reflection he is in a round tank. what should i do to stop the reflection.

i think its stressing him out.
Do you have a light on in your tank? Or your room? Try putting a pellet in the tank without the light on, cutting out the reflection. Wait about 5 minutes and then check to see if he ate, if not remove it before it sinks.
ohstacyann is offline   Reply With Quote