Betta Fish Forum banner

Need to Vac Gravel With Cories?

654 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  scrap 
#1 ·
I have a new Betta in a 10 gal tank and will be doing partial fake/partial live plants and adding 6 Cories this weekend. Considering Cories will scavenge the bottom eating all they can, will I still need to vac the gravel to make sure everything is out?

#4 ·
You will need to do a gravel vac with cories. If you don't they will smell the food bits in the gravel and try to burrow in the gravel and eat them. This will hurt their barbels. If at all possible you should go with a sand bottom as sand will not harm their barbels. If you go with sand you won't need to do a gravel vac.

#5 ·
I saw that sand was a good idea, but not required so I went with the gravel figuring it might be a little easier to care for as I am new to this. Now I am wondering if I made the right decision. Will this be ok for a short time or should I change it before I get the cories?

#10 ·
Another reason you want to vacuum the substrate, regardless of what kind it is, is that fish poo will still be left on top of it. Cories are pretty sensitive to that sort of thing, and debris of that kind can damage them if it is left around to rot.
Make sure you stir your sand too, because debris that does get trapped in the sand will rot there and cause pockets of gas. If a cory disturbs one, it gets a blast of gas to the face that can destroy his barbels. They can get infected and it may eventually kill the cory.

#11 ·
^ +1, cories don't eat waste, and filters don't remove the waste, nor the ammonia waste produces. If the tank is planted with live plants then vacuuming once or twice a month is all that is needed, but normally it's best to vacuum weekly in a tank with multiple fish.

I have always had gravel with cories, the soft rounded ones, without any issues.. sand is more ideal for them, but it's not a needed thing.

#12 ·
Play sand Is packed with a lot of filler dirt, be sure to wash it until the water runs clear before you put it in a tank. I've heard pool filter media is a good substrate. it's usually much cleaner, and even if you cant filter sand filter gravel is smoother and smaller - better for cories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.