Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #21 
LittleBettas

Thank you!!!
They are STILL spawning... they are still having trouble with some of the embraces so only one out of every five embraces results in any eggs... but they haven't given up.. and there have been a few more times where Smudge has "frozen" and sunk to the bottom after and embrace... Merle is getting a bit annoyed with that, lol
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #22 
LittleBettas

I finally got pictures of eggs!!!

Smudge collecting eggs

All of the eggs are clumped up in one little area... there are three on the other side of the nest (Smudge is starting up a new clump)

Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #23 
LittleBettas

Feb. 07 2012
(3:40pm)

Smudge has chased Merle from the nest and she was staying at the other end of the tank, I dipped a betta cup in near her and she swam right in, she is now in QT, has been fed and has clean water, Smudge is moving some of the eggs around and all seems to be going well, Spawn Tank is holding out at 82 degrees
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #24 
bettalover2033

I knew they would finally come around to it. They seem like a really good quality pair! The next generation isn't a stubborn one that decides not to spawn.

I love taking pictures of the embrace!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #25 
Bambi

Congrats
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #26 
LittleBettas

Thank you both!!!!

Heres a quick update... not exactly good news... but not 100% bad either

Feb. 8th 2012
8am
Woke up this morning and went to check on Smudge... he is extremelly bloated :-/
I thought he had eaten all of the eggs, but while MOST of the eggs are gone, he has moved a good chunk to the other side of the buble nest... not sure if he has just gone through and eaten bad ones... or if he has decided to be an egg eater
I have been watching him for about 30 mins and he seems to be keeping up with the eggs, outting them in his mouth, spitting them out, then putting them back in the nest.....

Smudge's fat tummy :-/

The eggs on the other side of the nest

Feb. 8th 2012
10am
He is now in the process of moving the eggs again, this time it looks like he is going to be using two different locations (smae nest, two sides of it)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #27 
tpocicat

I hope all he ate were bad eggs. He seems to be a good father so far.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #28 
LittleBettas

Well...
Came home to a not so good outcome...

Feb. 8th 2012
12pm
While I was gone my BF let the dogs in my "fish" room while I was at class... my pitbull, Chai, likes to press her nose to the tanks and watch the fish... which is why my room has been a no dogs allowed for the last few weeks... and now Smudge is even fatter... I can't tell how many eggs are in the nest, but they have all been moved back together and clumped up in one section... I made the decision to remove Smudge and let things work from there... I am going to start reconditioning the pair in a few days depending on how everything goes with the remaining eggs.... also putting some money into a baby gate so this doesnt happen again

This is whats left....

Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #29 
bettalover2033

That looks like it could still have up to 25 eggs in the nest. They are just getting the hang of breeding.

REMEMBER: Make sure you are not stressing the fish by putting them to spawn in just a couple of eggs. This second time (current spawn) you mentioned that there were just a few of eggs for a lot of the times they embraced, this could be because she is stressed or that she hasnt had a chance to develope more eggs even though females have eggs all the time. From the pictures It looks like she contributed a whole lot with many eggs even though they were not a bunch each time.

The solution would be to give her a whole week of reconditioning or more because of how many eggs she has managed to give. Since there were many eggs that she released, give her that week or more to develop more eggs and then introduce them again.

Good luck. Just take it slow and you should have fry in no time if you don't get it this time around.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #30 
tpocicat

You still have eggs, you may still get some fry. Hang in there.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote