Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #31 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
That looks like it could still have up to 25 eggs in the nest. They are just getting the hang of breeding.

REMEMBER: Make sure you are not stressing the fish by putting them to spawn in just a couple of eggs. This second time (current spawn) you mentioned that there were just a few of eggs for a lot of the times they embraced, this could be because she is stressed or that she hasnt had a chance to develope more eggs even though females have eggs all the time. From the pictures It looks like she contributed a whole lot with many eggs even though they were not a bunch each time.

The solution would be to give her a whole week of reconditioning or more because of how many eggs she has managed to give. Since there were many eggs that she released, give her that week or more to develop more eggs and then introduce them again.

Good luck. Just take it slow and you should have fry in no time if you don't get it this time around.

The most of the embraces resulted in 2-3 eggs, toward the end, when Smudge was having an easier time embracing (and not stunning hisself) I did count 20 eggs in one of the last few embraces

If I re-spawn them, I will probably give them 2-3 weeks of conditioning again

They both did a good job through the process, Smudge got jumpy toward the end though, I have been counting 22 eggs in the nest currently, but Smudge stacked a lot of them so I can't be 100% sure, for a first spawn, if any of these hatch I will consider it a success, raise these fry and give mom and dad a break

Merle has been doing really well, she has not been enjoying QT and has been vigorisly trying to get out of the QT container... she has a small tear in her anal fin and a missing scale, but it looks like Smudge had the brunt of the damage (torn fins, no missing scales) he is currently in QT sulking, he has built a small bubble nest and is looking over that...
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #32 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
You still have eggs, you may still get some fry. Hang in there.

Fingers are crossed... and I am, I have some updated pictures of the eggs... they SHOULD start hatching tomorrow evening at the latest... temp. of the tank has held at 83 and everything is set up and waiting for babies!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #33 
LittleBettas

Feb. 8th 2012
7pm

The eggs are now solo in the tank, Im expecting them to hatch tomorrow if this was a sucess... fingers crossed that all goes well and I see babies soon...

And the Solo egg...

Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #34 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
The most of the embraces resulted in 2-3 eggs, toward the end, when Smudge was having an easier time embracing (and not stunning hisself) I did count 20 eggs in one of the last few embraces

If I re-spawn them, I will probably give them 2-3 weeks of conditioning again

They both did a good job through the process, Smudge got jumpy toward the end though, I have been counting 22 eggs in the nest currently, but Smudge stacked a lot of them so I can't be 100% sure, for a first spawn, if any of these hatch I will consider it a success, raise these fry and give mom and dad a break

Merle has been doing really well, she has not been enjoying QT and has been vigorisly trying to get out of the QT container... she has a small tear in her anal fin and a missing scale, but it looks like Smudge had the brunt of the damage (torn fins, no missing scales) he is currently in QT sulking, he has built a small bubble nest and is looking over that...
Awe it looks like Smudge is missing his fry. I like how you explain their behaviors. It sounds really cute and I can't help but smile.

Anyway, that's good. If you are planning to breed the pair again to wait a couple weeks. However many eggs there are, there will be tons of color variations!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #35 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Awe it looks like Smudge is missing his fry. I like how you explain their behaviors. It sounds really cute and I can't help but smile.

Anyway, that's good. If you are planning to breed the pair again to wait a couple weeks. However many eggs there are, there will be tons of color variations!
He is... Im getting ready to do an update and I feel REALLY guilty so check it out

After what I just found out I am DEF. going to be spawning them again, but not until these fry get a little bigger (thats right.... fry, not eggs!)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #36 
LittleBettas

Feb. 8th 2012
10:30pm

Im feeling SUPER guilty... Im not 100% sure yet... but I think there is a fungus on the majority of the eggs.... all hope is not lost... I have at LEAST 3 fry bobbing about.... Im posting under the emergancy section to get help with the fungus thing... Im not sure what to do right now.... Smudge is no longer under the nest to take care of the bad eggs... and I don't want to disrupt my fry and Im not sure if there are some good eggs still in the "fuzzy" ones.... Im reasonably certain that the fry that hatched were in a different cluster of eggs (they are farther off then the ones that are looking fuzzy).... Im keeping an eye on it for now, no classes tomorrow so 24-7 watch....

Fry one and two

And lonely little fry number three

Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #37 
LittleBettas

And as to prove me wrong more... while checking in ont the babies... I saw something fall... from outside of Smudges nest... Smudge hid a few eggs... I have spotted two more fry outside of the "main nest"

And here is fry number 4 (fry number 5 is at an akward angle no pictures of him/her)

Old 02-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #38 
bettalover2033

You should not feel guilty. You are attempting new breeders which is some cases can be very tricky and quite frustrating. Don't beat yourself up about this.

Fungus is an annoying little bugger that (if left untreated) can be the hardest thing to get rid or. Glad that you found it pretty early! I have never had this happen so I wouldn't know what to tell you about that.

On the other hand...YAY FRY!!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #39 
LittleBettas

Now just hopefully I can figure out how to get the icky eggs out before they cause any damage...
a few of the icky eggs fell on the bottom of the tank and I used a turkey baster and got them out with out desturbing the fry or the nest.... they are in a floating jar so I can make sure no babies got in by accident.... there are about 6 more of the icky eggs left in the nest... no clue how to get them out without disturbing my few fry
Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #40 
bettalover2033

I would say to wait it out. If OFL is online contact her and ask. Sorry I cant be more helpful.