Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #1 
Haruki

Ohayou gozaimasu.

I joined this site because of an incident that happened earlier with my first betta. I was finished with a water change when he decided to leap out of the container I had him in. I didn't find him until about 10-20 seconds later and he was on my dresser behind his tank. I was finished with the water change and was getting ready for him to go inside the tank anyway, so I quickly scooped him up and placed him inside his tank. He's hiding within his decorations and breathing hard and fast, I'm really worried about him. Will he be alright? His tank is a 10 gallon and it's filtered and heated. I keep telling myself that he'll be alright as an attempt to soothe my worries and guilt. I should've had the lid on his container. I apologize to him every 5 minutes (no joke). This is really freaking me out.

I should probably have a proper introduction or at least a somewhat proper one. I don't like the fact that my introduction is out of desperation. I'm Haruki and I have a baby betta from Petco that looks as if he/she might be around 2 months old. He/she is in a 10 gallon that's filtered and heated as well. I'm going to be naming him/her Makoto since I was told that it's a unisex name and I don't know what gender the baby betta is (corrections are appreciated). And then there's Yuki, the betta that jumped out of his container and isn't doing so well at the moment. He's a multicolored CT. I feel so guilty for not putting the lid on the container, I hope he lives and I've learned my lesson to always put a lid on what you keep your betta in. Pictures will be coming soon since I don't want to stress out Yuki. I usually do the photo shoot all at once (not in the same tank of course). I don't have any pictures of them to upload anymore because I deleted them off my computer.
Haruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum

Am sure he will be fine..fact you got him back in the tank quick then it will have unlikely caused any lasting damage.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to leave him be for tonight and not stress him by going near the tank until morning. I had an acei (Lake Malawi cichlid if you dont know) jump out a tank once.

She was out the tank for about 45 seconds before I noticed her...she is now the proud mother of several batches of fry and doing totally fine.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #3 
Haruki

I turned out the light and I'm going to leave the tank alone for now since I don't want to stress him out more. I'm still shaking from how worried I was about Yuki. You've helped soothe my worries. He's been going up for air and he's moved around a little more, so I'm more convinced that he'll be alright. I can't believe how scared that made me. Yuki is my most prized betta because he was my first one and I got him a couple of months ago. I would've been heartbroken if he was dead when I scooped him up.

Being a parent of bettas can be so scary at times. Makoto used to blend in with his/her tank until I swapped out the previous gravel with neon orange gravel today. Now I can see where he/she is at all times. Makoto seems to be swimming along the back glass of the tank for some reason, though, and I can't figure out why. Maybe he/she is just playing?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

swapping out the gravel may have caused your tank to become unstable.

A lot of the beneficial bacteria are in your substrate (gravel), test your water as you might be seeing a min cycle if the fish is behaving different than normal.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #5 
Haruki

Well, he/she stopped doing it now and went into his/her plants that were added today as well. It appears that the little one is playing, but I'm not quite sure...it might be what you said it was...is it normal for a betta to swim around the back like crazy then start swimming around normally afterwards?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

He might be aseeing his reflection in the back of the tank. I have a betta named Makoto also. :)
Welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #7 
LunaticFringeInc

Ohayou gozaimasu. Hajimema****e! Sorry to hear about your fishes misfortune. Sounds though like they will be alright. Hopefully so I will keep my fingers crossed at any rate for you and Yuki-chan. Gambatte!
LunaticFringeInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 
Haruki

Yuki is back to normal and it's such a relief. It appears that I freaked out for nothing. Thank you all for supporting me even when it was a bit stupid of me to be so freaked out. And thank you for the welcome.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #9 
LunaticFringeInc

Great to hear the good news. Im glad all ended well.
LunaticFringeInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi and Welcome to the forum.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote