Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 
Jodah

Fin rot? Or something worse?

So, about two days ago, poor Murphy (g/f's betta) got wedged behind the filter a second time. After getting him free of it, he had some scales missing on the top of his ehad. no biggie, add some aq salt to help him out. Should be good. His fins were a bit raggedy from his first encounter with the filter, but didn't think anything of it because they were healing. Check on him today and half of his tail fin is gone, only a few "rays" are left. I have never seen fin rot move this fast. It's literally like someone cut the webbing from his fin and left the rays. His lower fin seems to be starting to do the same thing. Is it too late to save him? I plan on snagging my spare macquarium (the one that doesn't leak) tomorrow and basically making a quickie QT tank to treat him. But I'm not sure what to even treat him with.

He's a steel blue VT I got from petco about 2 months ago. Water temp is fine, params check out fine. He eats 3-4 pellets a day no problem. He's plenty active too.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Like I said, never seen fin rot move this fast. Will post pics tomorrow when I grab the camera from my place.

Last edited by Jodah; 01-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Fin rot is usually signified by black or red edges and the tail slowly deteriorating and falling off.

If it happened very quickly, chances are he either got caught in the filter again or he bit his tail. Do the edges look mouth shaped at all?

I suggest turning off the filter and/or getting rid of it and taking steps to add enrichment to the tank. Bottle caps from soda bottles (Rinsed of course) and buttons tied to strings make excellent toys that are good for stimulating instinct and exercise.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Ahh, sorry, thought I had posted before.

With how you describe it as just the rays left, well, yea, that's classic tail biting, at least in my experience.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 
bayboy408x

<-------Agree with silverfang
bayboy408x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #5 
Jodah

wait till i'm able to toss up a pic (assuming i can get the bugger to sit still) it's way beyond tail biting.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I've heard of bettas biting their fins off down to the body nearly when stressed enough
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

It's surprising how far they can reach and how fast they can do it. I had a boy take off half his tail and two good chunks out of his dorsal fin in a little over an hour.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 
Jodah

argh, had a couple lame pics, and the camera battery just died. lovely.

Just checked on him afterwards and noticed what "rays" he did have clinging on are now on the bottom of the hospital tank. >_<
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #9 
Jodah

pics took forever to get a decent one of him. mind you his finnage was about twice this. He also had single rays clinging on before this. Those have since dropped to the bottom of the hospital tank.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #10 
dormfish

The edges do look suspiciously mouth-shaped.... As stated before, toys will help. I personally like to doodle on the outside of the tank with dry-erase markers. My boy, Kyle, is so curious about the doodles. He jut sits and stares at them, as if pondering their meaning. XD
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote