Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 
jaela

Lighting: need help!

Hey friends! I'm trying to set up a 15h tank right now. Since I'll be putting live plants in it, I can't do anything until I get the lighting figured out. So, here's the deal:

I got this 15h tank second-hand from another hobbyist in the area for $15, which I thought was a pretty great deal for a tank this size. It's old, but it's been resealed and is still in good condition.

Now, when I bought it, I was told the lamp wasn't working and probably needed a new bulb. I got a brand new 6500K fluorescent bulb for it for pretty cheap, put it in, and.... nothing. Lamp still isn't turning on at all.

So I'm assuming now I have to get a new lamp altogether, but I don't really know where to get one or what exactly to look for. After some googling around, I mainly find lamps that are not the right size, or listings that say "lamp" but are really only a bulb.

The current fixture is 18" T-8 designation. The bulb, as mentioned above, is 6500K. This is what it looks like (with the new bulb in), if it helps:

What exactly do I need to buy in order to get this to work again? And how would I go about replacing it?
I've only bought aquariums with built-in lighting before and the most I've ever done is change out a bulb, so I don't know any of the terminology or anything about the technical aspects of this at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jaela; 03-01-2012 at 08:52 PM.
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Did you get a new starter for the light strip....that little white thing at the top right hand area on the light strip....it should turn easily to be removed and replaced-remove it and look at the watt rate....pretty cheap to buy...usually 2 for under $2.00.....change this before you buy a new light strip.....

The 6500k is perfect for live plants....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote