Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Unhappy Am I keeping my betta happy?

He is in a 5.5 gallon tank by himself with a heater, filter, a couple fake plants, and a hiding cave. I thought 5.5 gallons was great, but now I'm seeing that people are keeping them in 10 gallons and it's making me feel bad :(
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

You have no reason to feel bad! So don't! None of my fish even have 5 gallons and they are all very happy! He is very lucky to have 5 gallons! If he gone to someone else who knows what he would be living in! DO NOT feel bad!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

bettas are generally happy (especially with the amount of care you appear to give him) in 2.5gal or more. 2.5 tends to be the limit for most people to tolerate...I'll be honest my Emanon is in a 2gal, but he gets the utmost care and is a very active, happy little fishie. 10gal are nice, but a 5.5 is larger than many people manage to give their bettas. Hakuna matata! I'm sure he's a happy guy!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 
Myates

Don't feel bad! 5 gallons is more then enough for a single betta!

They may not live in puddles, but they are a single fish who do not need the filtration system as most other fish, and being a single fish that don't get big, they don't need as much space.

We all would love to have big tanks and such for all of our bettas.. but sometimes cost and space doesn't allow it. I keep mine in 2 gallons.. currently 2 are in 1 gallons as they are still very young and small.. and they are as happy as can be. It comes down to care rather then size.

You are giving him a great amount of room to swim in, a clean home, a warm home.. a cave to hide in, plants to swim through.. there isn't anything else he could ask for.

But it's natural and understandable to see some people with larger tanks and want the same thing for ours. My space is limited since I moved not long ago and waiting on some property, but whenever I see large set ups I get to wishful thinking. Just don't look down upon yourself, as you have given him something great and that most bettas don't get, as there are people who believe the myths and keep them in small bowls with no heaters still. Yours is in a wonderful home, a great sized home and perfect for him.

You can add in a snail if you want :) An apple snail gets rather big and some people love them.. but just one or you'll be over run with them hehe :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 
agent89201

Haha I just UPGRADED Beau to a 5 gallon. He's been living in a 2 gallon for a couple of months. Now that I've upgraded, I think 5 gallons is the perfect size!
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Thanks guys :) you are very nice. I feel a lot better now :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #7 
Jrf456

The minimum is 1g! He's VERY happy. Mine are all in 2.5-3g tanks (with the exception to Garland who for some reason is terrified of big spaces..) & they're all VERY happy. Yours must be very very happy too! Some members are quite stupid in my opinion. 10g tanks are an opinion, not needed for bettas as they aren't very active fish and are quite small. Your fishy is living in a perfect palace for one!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #8 
Myates

Good! Glad we could help you out there.. every one has their own personal opinions when it comes to sizes of tanks, and what they should be. But when it comes down to it, it's about the care.
I've been told my 1 gallons were not enough for mine.. but I can guarantee that they are healthy and happy. I mean, for a one inch fish a gallon is huge ;)

So take pride in what you have for your little guy, make the best out of his tank and enjoy him :)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
Some members are quite stupid in my opinion. 10g tanks are an opinion, not needed for bettas as they aren't very active fish and are quite small.
I don't believe any one here has said 10 gallons is needed, the OP mentioned seeing them was all. Please be careful and not call members here stupid, especially if any had stated an opinion.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #10 
EmmaliLucia

Oh Goodness yes. Most of the people who speak of ten gallon tanks usually divide them up into little 3.3 gallon areas. And most people who own betta fish put them in a 1-3.5 gallon tank. If he's bored you can put some stuff in there to keep him entertained.

But all-in-all, that is one spoiled betta.
EmmaliLucia is offline   Reply With Quote