Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #11 
Badjer

Yeah hamsters aren't the way to go for friendly rodent pets IME. Guineas are work, but they're the greatest. I've owned four, and they were as sweet as could be. I've also heard fabulous things about rats. As for the hamster, I would just do some research on how to care for him as best you can and accept that he might not ever be the cuddly cute pet you imagined. However, they're fun to watch!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #12 
SlinkyInk

If you have young children I would suggest guineas (cavies). They are easier to handle. Hamsters and gerbils are so small it would be easy for children to drop them suddenly. They move so quickly they'd be off like a shot under the furniture or appliances. Guineas aren't as quick and being bigger can't hide in tiny places.
SlinkyInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
LOL My hamster bites, so I just wear gloves when handling him, no big deal. Alot of people dont think of gloves so they sit there and whine about how their hamster bites them ahaha!
I have a rat who will only bite gloves! :p He is so scared of them. He loves to be held, though...just not by gloved hands.

Rats really are the bestest. So cuddley, so affectionate, so happy to be with you. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #14 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Definitely, hamsters are not very friendly.in general. They are testy animals. Been bitten more times than I will ever bother to count. If you want, as suggested, either a rat or guinea pig will do. Might add you have to clean the cage frequently if you go for guinea pigs. They're fascinatingly friendly however.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #15 
Theraggy1

Actually, it depends on the breed of hamsters, All dwarf breeds are known for being feisty. However Syrians( aka Teddy Bear) hamsters are pretty sweet and docile.

My fancy Russian dwarf Wuddin nips from time to time, however my two Syrians have never ever bitten and they even come up to door of their cages to greet me at night. They have to be the sweetest things ^^

And the way to a hammies heart is treats, Yogurt drops, sun flower seeds, peanuts, Pumpkin seeds, etc. Just go slow, and don't force yourself on the hammie.

Also, In my personal opinion Guinea Pigs have a lot of flaws and not as many plus's. A list of which being, Their food is very expensive, they smell very very badly(worse then anything i've ever smelt, ever.), because they smell badly you have to clean them out often. They can be loud, one of my boys nips really hard for some odd reason, piggies are often very skittish,there are no properly sized cages on the market(you have to make a c&c cage, they are very fragile and last but not least, they require salad every day.

On the plus side, they are cute and fun to hold.

Last edited by Theraggy1; 02-18-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Theraggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #16 
MaisyDawgThirteen

^^ +1

That is how I got my hamster to be super friendly. Just go slow. : D

On the subject of Cookiedough, he is a funny little bugger. If you take him out to play too often or too long he'll get stressed and do weird things like bring all of his bedding, and food into his wheel and live there. :P

On the other hand, when you do hold him he loves to be snuggled. He'll even fall asleep in my arms. :3 I got him so comfortable with me, by just taking my time and letting him warming up to me.

But he STINKS! xD
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #17 
chrissylee13

yeahhh.. i only like one type of hamster. Chinese Dwarf Hamsters. cutest most docile hammies ever. any other type of hamster have bitten me. lol.

but my pet mice are really nice. not very cuddly still but they're cute and funny. they also do that pop corning thing that guinea pigs do. :]
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

I love mices. :D http://www.adoptapet.com.au/search/s...n=Find+Animals Look at these little cuties! But I can't adopt them. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I love mices. :D http://www.adoptapet.com.au/search/s...n=Find+Animals Look at these little cuties! But I can't adopt them. :(
D'AWWW! How precious! I think mice are cool....My friend had one when we were kids.....The little dude lived to be 6yrs....
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #20 
MaisyDawgThirteen

My ham is a syrian. : D He has a large habitrail setup. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote