Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #1 
Cinderwolf

Second hand tank : Question about soap.

Okay so here is the story. i got a 5 gallon tank from my friend. She used to keep a terrarium for snails in it. So when she gave it to me she said she washed it... I grimaced and asked if she use soap to which she replied " Yeah but only a tiny bit of dawn and I rinsed it really well. It should be fine "

So I did some Google searching about getting all the soap out of tanks and I couldn't find a conclusive sure fire way.. Now, before you just tell me to go out and buy a new one.. i am tight on budget and would really love to be able to use this one..

So I heard that a vinegar bath then rinsing it beyond belief would do the trick. But I don't want to chance it.

has anyone dealt with this before? Do you know of ways to get all the soap out of the tank? .. If cant be a be all end all.. I mean lots of people have probably made the mistake and I don't think they would throw away a good tank ..

Is there a good way to test if the tank is safe after all this rinsing.. I dont want to chance putting my fish in there if I am not 100% sure..
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #2 
Cinderwolf

any one? I am new at this fish stuff.. I dont want to make a mistake...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #3 
wolfiegreen

Not exactly sure what to do if soap is used. What i'd say try is sit it in the tun fill it up with hot water and a bit of bleach let it sit over night and pour it out in the morning rinse until you don't smell the bleach smell. Set it up use a bit more water conditioner then told to and let it run for about a week or more. Or just rinse it with hot water a few times make sure you do NOT see any suds and then set up. Thats about all i can tell you :/

Last edited by wolfiegreen; 02-03-2012 at 10:54 PM.
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #4 
Cinderwolf

I am not filtering it... just gonna be doing 100% changes weekly. was thinking of boiling water to rinse it with and then just letting the shower run for like an hour filling it up and letting it over flow. I can do bleach in the boiling water part ... Maybe I should ask her if she has one without soap : P
Old 02-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Vinegar will help cut any remaining soap. But I think your best bet is just to rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse. And if you still have any doubts do a little vinegar rinse.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #6 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Vinegar will help cut any remaining soap. But I think your best bet is just to rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse. And if you still have any doubts do a little vinegar rinse.
Okay, thats what I was thinking. Rinse for a logn time, and a vinegar rinse then rinse for more time ( just gonan prop it up and spray the shower head in it lettign the water run out.. for a long time : P

Any ideas for figuring out if it is safe?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The vinegar will cut any soap residue and then a good tepid water rinse for the vinegar.....

Look forward to pics once you get it setup....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #8 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The vinegar will cut any soap residue and then a good tepid water rinse for the vinegar.....

Look forward to pics once you get it setup....
Awesome okay. Vinegar and water it is.

I am actually thinking about getting a sponge filter and cycling it. Gonna try to get it started tomorrow.