Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
LucyLore

Unhappy Hidden Betta= Scared Me

I had to share this with someone. I came home today and could not find Lucy anywhere in the tank. I immediately went into panic mode, thinking one of the guys I know took her. I tapped the tank like crazy, with no response. I started to call/text/and yell at the possible suspects.

When I went to check the filter, I saw Lucy! She wasn't in the filter but had completed blended in with the color of the pink coral in her tank. All cozy, hidden, and camouflaged with the coral.

Oh Lucy! Does anyone else's betta give them this kind of a heart attack?
LucyLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #2 
Haruki

I've had this happen before, but I didn't jump to conclusions about people stealing my betta. It's good to be worried about your betta, however, you might want to apologize to everyone that you texted and yelled at about it if you haven't already. My fish blended in very well with his/her environment (I'm not sure what the gender is) until I got some neon orange gravel for the tank. Now it's almost impossible for the little one to blend in.
Haruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 
LucyLore

I apologized, lol, they understood I meant no harm by it. They understood their reputation thoroughout college as pranksters, and had previously threatened to take her.
LucyLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #4 
Haruki

I would've been so worried if I knew that they were known as pranksters and threatened to take my betta, LOL. I almost had a heart attack if I couldn't find Makoto (the baby betta) in a certain amount of time. I would feel so dumb after I found him/her.
Haruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta14

I had somthing happen
i got my two girl bettas and i put a divider in because they wouldn't stop fighting and the next morning i didn't see one one my girl anyway on the side she was in! i looked on the other side of the divider and there she was! on the other side with the other betta!! i still can't find out who she got over there! there is no holes and no place for he to slip through!! i'll post a pic of what my tank looks like with them in.
Attached Images

BeautifulBetta14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Does your tank have a hood over it? She may have jumped over to the other girl's side.

And yeah having heart attacks comes with betta's. Welcome to the cardiac arrest club. XD
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #7 
BeautifulBetta14

it has a hood it just happened three times! each time i can't
figure how!!
BeautifulBetta14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta14 View Post
it has a hood it just happened three times! each time i can't
figure how!!
Maybe you need to re-do the divider?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #9 
ravenwinds

From the pic it looks like divider ends at water line. Even with a hood, there is usually a couple inches between hood and water line which is probably enough room for her to jump. One way of introducing a pair of bettas for first time is to put her in clear cup w/ no lid and float it in his tank. The theory is that when/if she is ready to spawn, she will jump out of cup and join him. In the wild, a female betta has been known to jump from series of puddles, streams, etc to reach a males nest/territory.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
From the pic it looks like divider ends at water line. Even with a hood, there is usually a couple inches between hood and water line which is probably enough room for her to jump. One way of introducing a pair of bettas for first time is to put her in clear cup w/ no lid and float it in his tank. The theory is that when/if she is ready to spawn, she will jump out of cup and join him. In the wild, a female betta has been known to jump from series of puddles, streams, etc to reach a males nest/territory.
She's not trying to breed she's trying to keep her females seperated.

Tags
hidden, hiding