Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #11 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Woah! Watch the ammonia! .25ppm is getting dangerous. But don't feel bad, it's normal in a new tank. My 10 gallon tank's ammonia wouldn't go down for a while. What brand of test kit did you get?
I'm using API TEST KIT. Bought the KH/GH, pH, and Ammonia separately. Comes with a bottle of solution and test tubes. The pH only measures from 6.0 to 7.6 though, so I'm not sure how accurate that is, because I think my straight tap water is over 7.6.

Oldfishlady has also been helping me with my tank situation. I asked her if I could do an immediate water change or if I should wait for 24 hours for the water to age? I always age the water, but I was only preparing it the day before I needed to change the water, so I don't have any 24 hour aged water on hand at the moment! Now I know to always keep aged water on me.

I'm just worried that my baby might not make it now... I added 4 ghost shrimp last night, and 2 of them are dead in less than 24 hours!! My betta was not touching them at all, it just looks like they died whole.

I'm waiting to hear back from Oldfishlady, but otherwise any suggestions would be helpful... My fish is no longer swimming around all hyper, but not slow and very nonactive. Either floating at the top of the water, or looking like he is dead at the bottom of the tank!! =(

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #12 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
OFL is very knowledgeable in care and treatment, you'll be well taken care of.

Don't worry about the ghost shrimp- as they are usually sold as food rather then pets so the quality may not be all that great.

The Ammonia is .50, not .05, correct? If so, then I would do a small water change to lower it- again, wait on OFL since you have live plants she will know what is best for them.

I don't think you did anything terrible, and he could be acting normal- but since the tank is new and it's trying to cycle you will have fluctuations in ammonia/nitrate/ites.. so keep an eye on them and do partial water changes when they get higher then safe for the betta.

The aging.. some people do it, some don't. Me, I don't because the water conditioners I use work immediately.. the aging is to remove chlorine/ammonia, etc.

For now though if he looks that bad, I would go ahead and QT him in a smaller tank- if you have a spare one, even a one gallon works, or half a gallon- tupperware soap residue free, etc.. fill it with warm water the same temp as the tank, and add in only water conditioner. Float him in it and acclimate him to the temp/chemistry and then place him in there (use a net and gently pour him into the net and gently place him in the QT container so the tank water doesn't get into the new water).. that way if he is having a reaction to something in the tank he is removed from it and in something cleaner.. and hope that it helps boost him back up until you can chat with OFL.

Good luck with everything.. don't feel bad, you weren't aware, and you are doing your best to give him the best.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #13 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
OFL is very knowledgeable in care and treatment, you'll be well taken care of.

Don't worry about the ghost shrimp- as they are usually sold as food rather then pets so the quality may not be all that great.

The Ammonia is .50, not .05, correct? If so, then I would do a small water change to lower it- again, wait on OFL since you have live plants she will know what is best for them.

I don't think you did anything terrible, and he could be acting normal- but since the tank is new and it's trying to cycle you will have fluctuations in ammonia/nitrate/ites.. so keep an eye on them and do partial water changes when they get higher then safe for the betta.

The aging.. some people do it, some don't. Me, I don't because the water conditioners I use work immediately.. the aging is to remove chlorine/ammonia, etc.

For now though if he looks that bad, I would go ahead and QT him in a smaller tank- if you have a spare one, even a one gallon works, or half a gallon- tupperware soap residue free, etc.. fill it with warm water the same temp as the tank, and add in only water conditioner. Float him in it and acclimate him to the temp/chemistry and then place him in there (use a net and gently pour him into the net and gently place him in the QT container so the tank water doesn't get into the new water).. that way if he is having a reaction to something in the tank he is removed from it and in something cleaner.. and hope that it helps boost him back up until you can chat with OFL.

Good luck with everything.. don't feel bad, you weren't aware, and you are doing your best to give him the best.
Myates,

Thanks for your help! I just wanted to double check something. Are you sure I should QT him in straight tap water? I just tested it and the pH is above 7.6 (chart won't show past) and the pH in the tank is 7.0. He already went from 7.6 to 7.0 within a few days, would it be safe to do that to him again now? Or is risking the pH change might be better than risking what might be making him sick in the water? Just don't want to put him into shock and kill him!

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #14 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Set out some water now, use water conditioner.. if he seems to be going downhill fast, such as starting to tilt to his side or gasping at the surface/bottom of the tank then move him. But if he is just laying still.. then keep a close eye on him.

Also, slowly adjusting him to the new water will help the pH change- by removing some water from the cup and adding in the QT water every 5-10 minutes over a 30 minute time span will help him adjust to the new pH.
But go ahead and keep him in the tank unless otherwise instructed by OFL- keeping an eye on him until then.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #15 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Set out some water now, use water conditioner.. if he seems to be going downhill fast, such as starting to tilt to his side or gasping at the surface/bottom of the tank then move him. But if he is just laying still.. then keep a close eye on him.

Also, slowly adjusting him to the new water will help the pH change- by removing some water from the cup and adding in the QT water every 5-10 minutes over a 30 minute time span will help him adjust to the new pH.
But go ahead and keep him in the tank unless otherwise instructed by OFL- keeping an eye on him until then.
I am slowly adjusting him to the new pH by adding some clean water into his tank very slowly.

I'm highly confused though. I tested my tap water and the ammonia was at .50 ...... not .05 but .50. So I added the water conditioner, tested it again, and the ammonia level was going up.......?? To 1.0? Maybe I'm not understanding how this works, but I thought it was supposed to be going down after using conditioner. I'm using Betta Bowl plus from Aqueon.

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #16 
fishman12
Member
 
fishman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ........
I don't know about betta bowl plus but Prime converts ammonia to ammonium (harmless) which shows up in tests as ammonia. So it might not be the ammonia. I advise to get him away from the plants -- like Myates said, they can have parasites and stuff. My first thought when you said new plants and spastic movements was flashing, which is the betta trying to rub the parasites off, but the vidoe showed to was just dancing around. Could you try to get another video?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #17 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
I don't know about betta bowl plus but Prime converts ammonia to ammonium (harmless) which shows up in tests as ammonia. So it might not be the ammonia. I advise to get him away from the plants -- like Myates said, they can have parasites and stuff. My first thought when you said new plants and spastic movements was flashing, which is the betta trying to rub the parasites off, but the vidoe showed to was just dancing around. Could you try to get another video?
Hey Fishman12,

All of the ghost shrimp are now dead. I had transferred Ghosty into a separate little bowl last night around 11 PM or so with some of his tank water. I then conditioned some clean water and was SLOWLY adding, very slowly. Because the pH of the tank was at 6.4 and the pH of the clean water was over 7.6 I was worried that big of an instant change would kill him faster. Took Myates advice and added water slowly until 2 AM, then passed out.

It's now 8 AM and he is still alive.... which is on the bright side, but he is not doing well at all. I fasted him yesterday, because it was the 7th day I've had him, but he does not want to eat at all today. And yes, I'm guessing that the Ammonia test is showing positive due to the water conditioner (at least I hope).

I've uploaded a new video. I'm sorry for my lack of enthusiasm in the video. Tbh, I was actually crying all night about Ghosty and it's only 8 AM here so I'm pretty tired and just hoping Ghosty will make it through. I know I've only had him for a week, but I'm already completely attached to the guy, it was love at first sight =(

http://youtu.be/Ufz_CsCz1aU

I will be doing another 50% water change in the tank today, as per Oldfishlady's recommendation, and keep anyone who is interested updated.

<3 Bettachic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #18 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
I've read that I need to get an Ammonia test kit that tests for sodium salicylate? Apparently, this kind of test kit will not show a false positive due to the water conditioner. Can anyone confirm if I should be using this to test my tank instead of the regular Amm. test or does it not matter by the time the clean water dissipates with the tank water?

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #19 
fishman12
Member
 
fishman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ........
Never heard that about the conditioner.... Might as well try it.

He's definitely not flashing. Probably should float his cup in the tank to keep temperatures up. You said the water was turning green. That could be algae but I think it is tannins coming from the driftwood. They are not harmless and I would say collect some but the water might be contaminated from the plants. I saw some AQ salt in the background, adding 1 tsp per gallon would help. I would guess the size of the petco cup at a pint so 1/8 of a teaspoon... Or if you have epsom salt that would work better. Get epsom salt at a pharmacy.. It cure swim bladder disorder and bloating. Or an anit-fubgal medicine- do NOT use bettafix or melafix - maracyn 2 is good. Probably Maracyn 2 is your best shot. Sorry, I don't know the adding instructions for that. Also when you next do a water change add straight tap water to the tank with no Ghosty in it, that might help kill anything on the plants. You'll probably have to take out the driftwood and let it soak for a week +... And watch Ghosty from a bird's eye view to make sure his fins are not sticking out (pineconing). If they are then he has internal organ problems... Pretty much uncurable. Good luck and I'm hoping he pulls through.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #20 
Jodah
Member
 
Jodah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
You want to avoid using any salt in a planted tank. The plants themselves tend to not like it.

If you are floating him in his cup in the tank, then only add a small amount to his cup. Otherwise I would setup a clean "hospital" tank. Meaning no plants, no gravel, just the basic tank, heater, and maybe something for him to rest on near the surface.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ghosty & Myself are New Buddies ~ And New to the Forums =) BettaChic Betta Fish Care 17 02-05-2012 10:12 PM
Ghosty Art Ghosty Shrimp Betta Art 44 01-26-2012 04:59 AM
Goodbye, Ghosty zukitchi Betta Memorials 2 01-11-2012 06:29 PM
Rapid Gill Movements ashleyy Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 12-06-2010 11:01 PM
spastic fish? ScuitoAmi150 Betta Fish Care 9 06-04-2010 09:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.