Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 
Laurenjade

please help my beta fish

can you please tell me whats wrong with my beta fish
Attached Images

Laurenjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #2 
xXGalaxyXx

Can we have a bit more details, please? Has his appearance changed, has he been acting differently, has he been eating normally, etc. A picture really isn't enough to give us an idea of what's wrong, I'm afraid.

EDIT: If you can fill this out to give us a better picture, it would be great. <3

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #3 
Laurenjade

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 73
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? beta fish pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? it hasn't
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? chilling at the bottom of the tank more
When did you start noticing the symptoms? only recently
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? couple months
Old 02-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #4 
earthworm88

As they say, pictures worth a thousand words, so thank you for including a photo of your betta, as it makes it easier to confirm a diagnosis. However, as Galaxy had pointed out, if you could fill out the questionnaire so that we have a good idea of the history, we can help you figure out what has been happening and to avoid this in the future.

How long has your betta had that infection on his dorsal fin? Are you able to get antibiotics from your LFS? Do you have Aquarium salt handy? While we are waiting to hear from you, for now quickly quarantine your betta to a 1 gal hospital tank and dissolve 1 tsp of AQ Salt in it. Make sure you pre-dissolved the salt, add the conditioner, and stress coat (if you have), then only you put in your betta. If you are not able to have access to antibiotics immediately, then we will have to consider increasing the AQ salt dosage. Let us know.

Good luck!

After reading your sticky:
When you brought your betta home, he already had this white sore on his fin? Has this sore gotten larger in 2 months?

Alright, first, the water temperature is a bit on the cold side for betta. You may want to get a heater to heat the water to about 78F, while you get this, try to place your betta in the warmest part of your house.

For a 2 gal tank, you should at least change the water 50% mid week, and 100% end of the week. It depends on some factors, but for me, I change my 2 gal tank 100% twice a week. Do you use water conditioner after each change? It seems right now, water quality is the culprit and your betta's health has been compromised.

Last edited by earthworm88; 02-04-2012 at 01:39 AM.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #5 
Laurenjade

umm yes i do remember seeing a small white spot on its tail, thought nothing of it though.

i live in australia so its sitting near my window not directly in the sun, i would imagine this would be a warm place.

i really only have time to change it once a week, but when i change it i scrub the pebbles and the bowl so its spotless haha , and yes i do use a water conditioner.
:)
Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #6 
earthworm88

If he is sitting near the window, does that mean that during the day, the temp is high, and during the night, the temp drops? So how much is the temp fluctuation in a day? Fluctuation isn't good on their immune system either.

Well, it's good that you scrub everything when you do the water change. I do that too, twice a week The reason you need to change the water at least twice a week is to reduce the chance of ammonia and nitrates poisoning to your betta as well as to reduce the chance of infection. Unfortunately, poisoning of this sort will not affect your betta instantly, but will slowly compromise their health possibly lead to early demise. The best thing to ensure the water is "safe" for your betta is to check the water parameters yourself, so that you know what level these chemicals are on the day you change the water, and then you may have to change your schedule accordingly. But based on what your betta is suffering from now, I would say once a week change just isn't enough.

So you are saying it went from a small white spot to a giant hole/sore now? In the photo, is your betta lying on his side motionless? Or it's an upside down photo?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #7 
Laurenjade

haha no its an upside down photo lol:)
its just better if i post a photo, no the temperature docent really change at all, i usually have a thermometer in the tank, just to make sure of that.
its only in the last couple of the started to look really bad and had a good look today and thought i better do something, cause i love my fish <3
i wish i had time to change the tank 2 times a week , its just cause i work i have school , do gymnastics so I'm always out somewhere.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #8 
earthworm88

I hear ya! Unfortunately that's the "price" to pay for having smaller tanks Have you thought of upgrading to a much bigger tank with filter?

Or may be consider removing the substrates as they do take a bit longer to wash? How long does it take you to do a water change each time?

So if you don't have time, how are you going to treat this fish? Right now, it requires AQ salt treatment with water changes every day for the next 10 days.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #9 
Laurenjade

when i brought my fish the guy said that this tank is 2 gallon big enough for the fish, he also told me that i didn't need a filter cause the fish isn't strong and filter would harm the fish. so i took the mans word for it.

when i clean the tank it takes me a good 30 mins to give it a good clean.

i don't even know what you mean by this salt treatment sorry
Old 02-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #10 
earthworm88

The aquarium salt (not table salt) is the most basic way to treat your betta infection right now (before antibiotics intervention). To do this:

1) take one teaspoon of aquarium salt and dissolve in 1 gal of preconditioned water.
2) Add betta to this (ideally should remove the substrates to make water changes easier)
3) repeat this every day with water change for the next 10 days

If you don't take care of his fin rot now, it will continue to infect toward his body and eventually his demise.

30 min is a bit long for a simple 2 gal tank. I know we all work differently, but I normally get mine done in 5 min after lots of practice