Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 
Creat

Testing to see if its safe

After a good tank cleaning an disinfecting is there a way to test to see if tank is safe without risking any fish lives? I think what plagued my fish was a Mycobacteriosis outbreak so I am doing a tear down bleaching, drying and overall trying to destroy part of the evil bacteria colony to make room for the better stuff. But I dont want to just stick the fish I love in there to have them die... but I cant think of another way...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

How do you feel about risking a snail life? Someone trying to get rid of pest snails may be happy to give you one to use as an aquatic guinea pig.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #3 
Creat

But would be the snail act the same way as a fish would sense they are so different ? I have lots of snails and nothing seems to kill them.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #4 
kfryman

Some type of shrimp maybe?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #5 
Tappy4me

Ghost shrimp are usually really sensitive to stuff...so maybe they would work, like mentioned above?
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

I think if you disinfect with bleach and air dry it it should fine. Just make sure you wash it really really good and get rid of the bleach. I did it before for one of my friend. Bleach will kill the bacteria. I was paranoid when i disinfected the tank with bleach but you just need to be sure there is no bleach left in the tank.
How much of the bleach did you use?

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 
Creat

Havent I will probably using a strong solution of 1:4. I will try ghost shrimp sense they are like 79 cents at my LFS... and if they live they have a home in a smaller tank.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
But would be the snail act the same way as a fish would sense they are so different ? I have lots of snails and nothing seems to kill them.
Fish diseases usually don't affect snails, shrimp, and other inverts the same way as they affect fish. The biological systems are just too different. I'm really sorry, but the only way I can see testing your equipment is to put a fish in it. I wouldn't put one of your survivors in it, tho.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #9 
Creat

I agree I might have to use the little feeder guppies they sell at the store. Those might be the best to use.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #10 
Jrf456

Maybe just a cheap fish that you can't really get attached to like a neon tetra or a baby feeder goldfish? They're like 10 cents here and aren't as fun or intelligent as bettas, as least as I see (; I might just give my bettas too much credit though, I seem to tell people mine are all little genius'. LOL.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote