Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #1 
ravensgate

Which would you choose? Cherry or Ghost shrimp?

I'm wanting to get 2-3 shrimp to put in with my betta. I know the chances of him eating them are high but thought I'd give it a whirl. As far as 'who may survive longer and get along better' would you suggest ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp? Thank you in advance. I looked around at other threads but didn't see a real definitive answer to help me.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
Jrf456

I'd probably say Ghost shrimp would survive longer, they blend in better. Make sure you quarantine them for 2-3 weeks before you add them to the tank! :)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 
ravensgate

Weeks??? What all would I look for during this quarantine process ( I know a sick fish, not sure if I'd know a sick shrimp)
Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #4 
Badjer

I would run a test with ghost shrimp as they're cheaper, and see first if your betta is a shrimp killer. If that goes well, I would try a few cherry shrimp. IMO, ghost shrimp are creepy looking while the cherry shrimp are quite pretty. (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 
JKfish

Sick shrimps tend to be sluggish and they don't respond very much. They'd be fine in a little tubberware floating inside your tank for the week of qt. Just change the water out every day and be sure to feed them fish food. Just know that since they are sold pretty much as live food, they typically aren't that well cared for and you might see one or two die off during the qt process. Unless all of them are acting sluggish and odd, you don't have to worry.

I'd say go with three or four ghost shrimps first. They're cheap and always a good way to test your betta's temperment.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #6 
nintendobratkat

I had active ghost shrimp who decided to suicide themselves after 2 days. If you have an open tank make sure you get a lid! I learned a cheap lesson (I only got two). They are pretty awesome to have though and after I get a lid (next week) I plan to get two more and try again with less suiciding.

They do need places to hide though. My betta isn't really aggressive but he would get near the shrimp and the shrimp would freak out (they have super long feelers). I think they just confused my betta a lot. He's been looking for them around his giant rock thing since they've been missing.
nintendobratkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #7 
ravensgate

That was going to be question was if I needed a quarantine tank with a filter or anything for them, Glad to know I don't. That will be easy to quarantine them then:) I'll get one of those little critter carrier things probably. Thank you for the great advice.