Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 
zacheyp

Could a female betta thrive in 1 gallon?

So I am getting. a five gallon tank any day!!! I plan to divide it in half. On 1 side I plan to keep a male betta! I want to save as many bettas as possible from cold cups so could I divide the other half in 2 and keep 2 females?
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I would not divide a 5g more than once. It just seems too much to me, and if you want to keep a female in a 1g, I would just get her a separate one so she has space without the possible stress of neighbors.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #3 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I would not divide a 5g more than once. It just seems too much to me, and if you want to keep a female in a 1g, I would just get her a separate one so she has space without the possible stress of neighbors.
Why would it be to much if i used opaque borders
Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
Laki

I see too many bettas in stores lined up in cups ragged and torn from flaring at each other. In fact I picked out Ludendorff he was flaring at his neighbor and looked stunning! But to live, no I wouldn't keep a transparent divider.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

I think it would be to much for the bioload. I would just get some 1 gallon tanks. They look nicer to. A 5 gallon should only really be divided once.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #6 
Jrf456

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
I think it would be to much for the bioload. I would just get some 1 gallon tanks. They look nicer to. A 5 gallon should only really be divided once.
+1
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
+1
Could a male be kept in a 1
Old 02-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #8 
JKfish

Zacheyp, I personally feel that a betta requires at least a 2.5 gallon tank.

1 gallons are extremely difficult to heat consistantly, and you'd need to do a 100% water change every two days. They're small, and honestly a betta would end up feeling cramped in there.

2 and a half gallon tanks only need one 50% and one 100% water change a week, they're larger, and easier to heat. Seeing as betta's enjoy swimming and moving and exploring, having a larger tank with more room for decor would help keep your boy fit and happy.

You could technically fit a betta in a 1 gallon if you wanted, but the goal of fish keeping is to make sure your betta thrives, not just survives.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

Yes. Though I wouldn't recommend it. I will keep females in 1g cause they are much smaller usually. Males I would only put in 2+ gallons. I understand you want to help as many as possible and thats great, but do think about the future. Will you get tired of having a ton of tanks and fish? 1 gallons are a lot of work. You have to clean them 3 or more times a week. Are you willing to do that for 3+ years? I just don't want you to get to overwhelmed when you still are new to this.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 
Laki

Oh, is the purpose to save them all? o.o
As much as I want to agree with you and help save them all, well the reason they're still sold in stores is because there is a consumer demand for them. Buying them all up would be redundant then bc the store would just re-order the number back in. Also, a ridiculous pile of 1 gallons would end up being a hassle for one person trying to care for them all, seeing the cleanings required. I think 1gallons are fine for people in small amounts, like 3 or 4 or something that's manageable.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote