Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #21 
zacheyp

Why would I need to lower water?
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #22 
a123andpoof

In a divided tank you have to keep the water lower so they don't jump to the other side.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #23 
zacheyp

Then I'm not going divided are there any fish I could keep with a betta in a 5?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #24 
Bombalurina

No. A 5 gallon does not give enough room for the betta to form his own territory, and tankmates would just bother him. It would also be a strain on the bioload. Most fish small enough to be in a 5 gallon are also schooling fish, so you'd not be able to keep them happy. If you want tankmates, get at least a ten gallon.

I just want to weigh in on people keeping females in smaller containers than males. I've found that most of my girls are not that much smaller than my males. They are also a darn sight more active, so I think, if anything, females need more space than males. Just my two cents.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #25 
a123andpoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
No. A 5 gallon does not give enough room for the betta to form his own territory, and tankmates would just bother him. It would also be a strain on the bioload. Most fish small enough to be in a 5 gallon are also schooling fish, so you'd not be able to keep them happy. If you want tankmates, get at least a ten gallon.

I just want to weigh in on people keeping females in smaller containers than males. I've found that most of my girls are not that much smaller than my males. They are also a darn sight more active, so I think, if anything, females need more space than males. Just my two cents.
I do agree with you on the whole female in smaller containers. They are more active. My one female though has been in the 1g for over a year. She is maybe an inch. She is 2. She is small. My other female has like 3 gallons and is also small. I find It just depends on the fish. Sakura needed more space while Haruna never was as active so she does well in a 1g. Just wanted to point out that it does depend on the fish. I guess I for the most part go off size of fish. Except with Sakura cause she if a favorite XD
Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #26 
zacheyp

I think I found the perfect tank For 1 betta quiet filter and all the marineland3! I know they say the filter is powerful but o have a controller thingy from another wilted to put over it. What do you think of this tank?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #27 
fishman12

Marineland makes pretty good quality stuff. 3 gallons is good as well.

And to answer the op's question *even though it has probably been answered 10 times): No a betta will probably never "thrive"in a 1 gallon. They can live in 1 gallon, but they will not thrive.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #28 
a123andpoof

That looks good! Never used it though. With proper water quality I think they can. My fish is a good example. She is thriving in a 1 gallon. Like said before it depends on the fish.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #29 
fishman12

Yeah I guess it does...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #30 
Jrf456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I use two one gallons- and my bettas thrive, I don't think they could be happier as they currently are. And there isn't a whole lot of trouble heating a one gallon- you just have to make sure to get a heater that works best for your set up, and location of the tank.. and they require the exact same #/% water change per week as a 2.5- it all depends whether or not there is a filter.
Water changes every 2 days is too much- as the water can technically be too clean and could in turn put the betta at a disadvantage.

OP- I would only divide by one- as even though you are dividing into 1 gallons, it will be less then a gallon due to substrate and having the water level lowered to help prevent jumping over.
Having a male and female next to each other is no different then having two males, or two females next to one another. In time they will get used to each other, and they will flare/dance just the same regardless of sex. I have all of mine in rows and they are in perfect few of opposite sexes with no issues, no stresses and no ailments.

Kritter Keepers are great- I have some of the aquatic ones from PetCo.. cheap, easy to clean and heat. You don't need a filter for a betta as long as you are willing to do weekly 100% water changes.
The filter will depend on the size of the tank, and the flow of the filter- what size tanks it works best with.

For anything smaller then 5 gallons I don't even worry about a filter, as there won't be a stable cycle, and trying to vacuum something small can be frustrating.. I prefer to just do the 100%, but that is my preference.
+1
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote