Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 
bllauben

Flash's new home and buddy

So, I have a 10 gallon tank. Two mollies (Spot and Charlie) and two sunburst platys (Sunrise and Dusk). Two otos. Anyways, Sunrise became aggressive towards Dusk. Dusk kept in hiding. Felt bad. Flash, my beautiful crowntail boy, decided that he did not like his 3 gallon home anymore. And I am a sucker. Flash's happiness, just like the happiness of any other of my fish, my cats or my husband, is a top priority for me. I must do what I need to do to ensure they all are happy...even if it means my 1.5 year old cat gets two 15 minute massages with the back massager a day (we just found out last night that she LOVES it).

So, $62 later (this is a 5 gallon tank):

I put Dusk in with Flash. They both like each other and their new home. I think I like it too! Nice filter. Quiet. I do have a thermometer in there. Had to put a visual barrier up along the community tank since Flash does not get along with Charlie and was looking for him. Once I put the paper on the tank, Flash settled down.

What do you guys think? After I get it cycled, I am thinking about an algae eater. Once I get a job and save up, we're aiming for a 36 gallon or better for the community tank. Might keep Flash in the 5 gallon, but move Dusk in the community tank with some female platys.
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

With a platy and a betta in a 5 gallon, that's already pushing the bioload. Definitely don't add anything else.
I understand it's a tricky situation, but I would not keep a platy in less than ten gallons due to their size and activity level, so do aim to get him into that female tank you have planned as soon as possible. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #3 
bllauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
With a platy and a betta in a 5 gallon, that's already pushing the bioload. Definitely don't add anything else.
I understand it's a tricky situation, but I would not keep a platy in less than ten gallons due to their size and activity level, so do aim to get him into that female tank you have planned as soon as possible. :)
Oh, trust me, I want him out of there quickly. This is not an ideal situation, but it is better than what he was in. I am new to this hobby and I was unaware that Petsmart (where I will no longer be going) gave me two boys. I think Sunrise was bullying him for dominancy. I am looking for jobs right now. Might have a pet sitting job lined up. Depending on the husband's pay check (he's out on medical leave), the pet sitting money is either going to go towards the bills or be saved for a bigger community tank.
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote