Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta

Smile Weird/Creative Tank Decor?

Hey guys, I'm gunna redo my sorority because I always do it the same and its boring me now. Anyone find any household items that make good caves and such that are somewhat creative? Right now I've got lots of live and fake plants in there, and the brightest coloured gravel I could find lol. If you all want photos of it now, I can post some.

I really wanna make some of these, we've got lots of slate in certain areas around here and could potentially make money off them (plus I have no life other than water changes so I need something to do to keep my creativity alive! lmao)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XYo...ure=plpp_video

I'd rather not go to the store and buy the same decorations they always have at walmart lol. I tried posting this in the betta tank section of the forum but got no replies. Hope you all have some good ideas! :D
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #2 
chrissylee13

wow! i love that idea! and a creative thing i used was a martini glass that i put rocks in. it makes a nice half way to the surface in a 10 gal. my fish loved to lay on it.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 
wolfiegreen

Tea cups :D I want a tea pot but the handle wont work well with water :/
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 
BeautifulBetta

Both are cool ideas! :D I'd love to fill that martini glass with rainbow marbles, how awesome :) I'm sure the girls would love that!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #5 
wolfiegreen

http://stoneworkbystephens.com/miniatures/ this seems kinda cool would look awesome in a large tank and have a village in the woods set up
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta

^ OMFG. That is so awesome!!! Little roundish rocks would be way easier to come by than slate!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 
RiverStoneBetta

Porcelain and terracotta work wonderfully. Just take a small terracotta pot (brand new, make sure it never touched fertilizer) and cut it in half, burying each half cutside down into the gravel. Bettas generally love it, and it provides a great hiding spot for sorority tanks.

Porcelain tends to be more expensive and harder to cut, but terracotta has lots of pores that can hold algae and makes it harder to remove. Be sure to soak either one in clean water for half and hour to saturate it completely before adding it to your tank.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta

Cool! I like that idea too :) Glad I posted here, my other thread was very lonely LOL
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #9 
xXGalaxyXx

Clean jelly jars make good caves if you allow algae to grow on the outside!~ I left a jelly jar in a bucket of water sitting outside for about a month before (turning it every once in a while so there was an even coating of algae), then put it in one of my tanks. The algae that grew on it made it so the fish couldn't see through the glass and it was dark enough inside to give them a sense of security while still having a nice look to it because of the indents on the jar. It's pretty nice if you have the patience to let algae grow evenly on the jar for a while first (and of course if you don't mind the algae! cx).

Last edited by xXGalaxyXx; 02-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

I like sake cups - they still look quite natural but make lovely caves. :) You could incorporate them into a stone structure.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote