Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #11 
Zappity

Okey dokey, he's currently in his QT cup, with 1 tsp of AQ salt and Stress Coat pre-mixed in a 1 gal jug :) He hates me right now xD
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #12 
Zappity

His fin already looks a LOT better. He's using it now!! :) I'm so happy!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #13 
Myates

Glad to hear he is doing better!! Finish him out at least 8-10 days to make sure any bacteria is killed off in the salt- he'll thank you in the long run :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Yeah that's the aquarium salt you need :)

At one 50% a week and one 100% a month there would be - a lot - of ammonia build up. This water change routine would be good for a cycled (not uncycled tank). My guy is in an unfiltered 5g. He poops very little. The bottom is bare and the poop is scooped up immediately after he goes and by day 6 there has been as much as .5ppm ammonia in his tank. 50% weekly would not be sufficient at all. Sorry. If you want to change so very little then I suggest investing in a good drops test kit and testing daily past the 4 day mark and any time you start to see ammonia you know you need to do at least a partial change. Then you will start to see how often it really needs to be changed.

You have to be aware that a lot of water conditioners turn ammonia into ammonium which is safe for the fish, but register as ammonia.
The 1 50% per week and the 1 100% per month (weekly siphoning if there are no live plants, bi-weekly if there are) is sufficient for a 5 gallon.
But I do have to agree that by the 4th day test to see.. up to .25ppm is considered safe for them.
With the live plants, the 50% per week would be sufficient, as you don't want to be making more then that otherwise your plants will be affected.

Everyone's experience and opinions differ, and not all are wrong. I base my opinions off of 17+ yrs experience in fish keeping, tons of research on bettas, wet vets and people who have been doing betta care for decades recommendations. Even with all that you will want to make sure it's right for you, as not every tank will be exactly the same and register the same- it varies depending upon water source and even water conditioner, and whether or not there are live plants.

Last edited by Myates; 02-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #14 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Glad to hear he is doing better!! Finish him out at least 8-10 days to make sure any bacteria is killed off in the salt- he'll thank you in the long run :)

You have to be aware that a lot of water conditioners turn ammonia into ammonium which is safe for the fish, but register as ammonia.
The 1 50% per week and the 1 100% per month (weekly siphoning if there are no live plants, bi-weekly if there are) is sufficient for a 5 gallon.
But I do have to agree that by the 4th day test to see.. up to .25ppm is considered safe for them.
With the live plants, the 50% per week would be sufficient, as you don't want to be making more then that otherwise your plants will be affected.

Everyone's experience and opinions differ, and not all are wrong. I base my opinions off of 17+ yrs experience in fish keeping, tons of research on bettas, wet vets and people who have been doing betta care for decades recommendations. Even with all that you will want to make sure it's right for you, as not every tank will be exactly the same and register the same- it varies depending upon water source and even water conditioner, and whether or not there are live plants.

Will do :)

One question, though. I have Mr. Bubbles cupped since Monday, and he has only gone to the bathroom once. Is this to be of concern? I feed him 2 pellets 2x a day. He doesn't seem bloated, or anything.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #15 
Myates

Could be stress related- go ahead and reduce the amount of pellets to 2 total a day while in the cup. Keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't become bloated while in the cup.
If he seems to become bloated then stop all food for a few days to help clear out his system, and after the AQ salt treatment, if needed, we can help him go poo :)

How does his fin look now? How is the coloration of it?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #16 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Could be stress related- go ahead and reduce the amount of pellets to 2 total a day while in the cup. Keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't become bloated while in the cup.
If he seems to become bloated then stop all food for a few days to help clear out his system, and after the AQ salt treatment, if needed, we can help him go poo :)

How does his fin look now? How is the coloration of it?

Okay, I'll do that, thank you again :)

It looks fine :) Coloration is the normal somewhat clear color. It looks a little scraggly compared to his other one, but only I would notice that xD