Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #1 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Spastic Movements - Acting Different - What is Ghosty doing?

Hello BettaFish Community!

I'm sure you've seen my other thread introducing myself and Ghosty to the forums! He seemed to be well and happy. Yesterday I added some aqua plants (anubias nana, crypt, moss ball) and he seemed to be happier.

Now today he has been moving and acting differently. I'm not sure if he is happier or what, but he has been darting around fast and weird. It wasn't really seeming normal to me. Is he possibly seeing his own reflection and freaking out? Which is weird because I've had him for almost a week and he just started doing this.

Just a minute ago as I was writing this post, he stopped moving at the surface and my heart stopped for a second. He seemed to be laying there like he was dead and didn't move when I tapped the glass. Then he snapped out of it and started moving again. (As I'm waiting to upload my video on youtube, he has done this a couple more times. Lays motionless at the top for a bit with his nose in the air. Make me think he is dying or something =( I haven't seen him act like this before!)

Is this kind of swimming normal/healthy or is something going on?

http://youtu.be/THzGiKlNpqo

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #2 
Jodah
Member
 
Jodah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
My g/f's VT does that. Seems to be fairly normal from what I've seen. Though I have noticed if one light in the room is off, but the other (which is closer to his tank) is left on, he seems to spazz a bit more. So I would chalk it up to he is probably seeing his reflection briefly.

My female CT Freyja does this also, but she's just a little spazz anyway. Doesn't matter if I'm near her tank or not.

MY male CT Ankou, not so much, he's pretty chill. Well, until I pull the lid off for feeding anywho.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
My g/f's VT does that. Seems to be fairly normal from what I've seen. Though I have noticed if one light in the room is off, but the other (which is closer to his tank) is left on, he seems to spazz a bit more. So I would chalk it up to he is probably seeing his reflection briefly.

My female CT Freyja does this also, but she's just a little spazz anyway. Doesn't matter if I'm near her tank or not.

MY male CT Ankou, not so much, he's pretty chill. Well, until I pull the lid off for feeding anywho.
Jodah,

Thanks for your response! I've been sitting here worried about him, but you made me feel a little better. Another member posted earlier asking how to make it so they can't see their reflection as well, so I think I'll read into that thread.

Also, just a note to anyone else reading, I just added a new mini heater today. The water temp was around 70 and I plugged in the heater around 4PM. It is now 8PM and around 75 so it has risen a little over 1 degree per hour. He shouldn't be going into shock or freaking out from that right? I figured this would be just as slow as a temperature change as if I were to acclimate him with a bag?

Just want to make sure by baby is ok. Thanks again Jodah.

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 
HermitGuy101
New Member
 
HermitGuy101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Seems normal. He's probably just realized that he can't escape the aquarium and is overly exited. :) By the way... I subscribed!
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #5 
HermitGuy101
New Member
 
HermitGuy101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaChic View Post
Jodah,

Thanks for your response! I've been sitting here worried about him, but you made me feel a little better. Another member posted earlier asking how to make it so they can't see their reflection as well, so I think I'll read into that thread.

Also, just a note to anyone else reading, I just added a new mini heater today. The water temp was around 70 and I plugged in the heater around 4PM. It is now 8PM and around 75 so it has risen a little over 1 degree per hour. He shouldn't be going into shock or freaking out from that right? I figured this would be just as slow as a temperature change as if I were to acclimate him with a bag?

Just want to make sure by baby is ok. Thanks again Jodah.

<3 BettaChic
Oh, and the temperature may have something to do with it. Just make sure it doesn't accelerate to quickly.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #6 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitGuy101 View Post
Oh, and the temperature may have something to do with it. Just make sure it doesn't accelerate to quickly.

HermitGuy101,

Thanks for replying! I'm hoping that he is just excited, but he has had that same tank for a week now lol. I will be sure to keep an eye on the temperature! Thanks for subscribing as well. That was the first video I posted on the account, so people could see how Ghosty was acting. But I may decide to film me introducing Ghosty to 4 ghost shrimp. It may end up a horror clip, as Ghosty is looking pretty....hyper and alert.... lol but I may upload it anyways so people can see what happens lol.

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #7 
Myates
Member
 
Myates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
The temp isn't too drastic too quickly.. he is a bit.. twitchy.

When you got the plants, did you QT for a week or so to make sure they were safe, and no parasites/snails/etc caught a ride with them? Also, did you soak the driftwood for 12-24 hrs prior to putting it in?
It may be a chemistry change.. go ahead and test the water with a tester, if not, Petsmart and PetCo usually do it for free (just take some tank water in a baggie to them). Newly set up tank, new plants, etc could of cause a jump in chemistry, as well as the driftwood could cause a fall of the pH.
Did you add in fertilizer?

Did you do a water change when you added in the new plants/wood? I would suggest doing a small 10-25% water change at this point to see if it helps him. But his jerky movements, his mouth opening and closing and the sudden stopping all indicate he isn't liking some sort of chemistry going on in his tank right now. A water change will help lower any of the negatives, so that may be your best route at this point.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 
Zappity
Member
 
Zappity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Both of mine do it when I get near their tanks (seperate, of course). I think they're just excited :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #9 
BettaChic
New Member
 
BettaChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
The temp isn't too drastic too quickly.. he is a bit.. twitchy.

When you got the plants, did you QT for a week or so to make sure they were safe, and no parasites/snails/etc caught a ride with them? Also, did you soak the driftwood for 12-24 hrs prior to putting it in?
It may be a chemistry change.. go ahead and test the water with a tester, if not, Petsmart and PetCo usually do it for free (just take some tank water in a baggie to them). Newly set up tank, new plants, etc could of cause a jump in chemistry, as well as the driftwood could cause a fall of the pH.
Did you add in fertilizer?

Did you do a water change when you added in the new plants/wood? I would suggest doing a small 10-25% water change at this point to see if it helps him. But his jerky movements, his mouth opening and closing and the sudden stopping all indicate he isn't liking some sort of chemistry going on in his tank right now. A water change will help lower any of the negatives, so that may be your best route at this point.

Myates,

Thank you for coming to my rescue once again lol. I feel horrible... I didn't do any of those things!!! I had no idea!! =( I only soaked the wood for a few hours. I did not QT the plants for a week either... I did not add fertilizer, just tied it down to the wood and planted the other in the gravel. I did a water change the day before I added the plants, so I did not do one the day I added them.

I also added 4 ghost shrimp and they are actually getting along fine, unless Ghosty is just not feeling well enough to attack them.

I went to the store and bought a bunch of testing kits. Here are the readings:

KH: 71.6
GH: 107.4
Ammonia: 0.50
pH: 7.0
Temp: 76 F

I appreciate the help. I will do a water change ASAP. He seems to be doing a little bit better today, but still a little slower and not as active as he was before.

<3 BettaChic
BettaChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #10 
fishman12
Member
 
fishman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ........
Woah! Watch the ammonia! .25ppm is getting dangerous. But don't feel bad, it's normal in a new tank. My 10 gallon tank's ammonia wouldn't go down for a while. What brand of test kit did you get?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ghosty & Myself are New Buddies ~ And New to the Forums =) BettaChic Betta Fish Care 17 02-05-2012 10:12 PM
Ghosty Art Ghosty Shrimp Betta Art 44 01-26-2012 04:59 AM
Goodbye, Ghosty zukitchi Betta Memorials 2 01-11-2012 06:29 PM
Rapid Gill Movements ashleyy Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 12-06-2010 11:01 PM
spastic fish? ScuitoAmi150 Betta Fish Care 9 06-04-2010 09:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.