Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 
xXbrokencrownXx

Angry REALLY stubborn fin-rot....

Hey All!

So, I've had this fish for a while, and about a month ago, he ripped a little bit of his tail. I treated it as soon as I noticed it, and it went away, but didnt really start to grow back. Now, its come back, and has eaten away about 1/4 of his tail! I've been doing daily water changes (about 25-50%) with AQ Salt and stress coat. the tap water is treated with water conditioner. A week ago I started him on anti-fungal tabs (cut into 1/10s) and he isnt getting better!! What should I do??

Housing
What size is your tank?1.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? steady 70-74
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? right now, every day, when he wasnt sick: 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, stress coat, AQ salt, and Fungal tabs

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his tail is getting shorter :(
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's fine, maybe a little more calmer
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, with AQ salt, stress coat and the fungal tabs
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope! he was the healthy one!
How old is your fish (approximately)? he's probably a year old now

PLEASE help! I dont know what to do anymore!

Last edited by xXbrokencrownXx; 02-04-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: mistakes!
xXbrokencrownXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #2 
callistra

Is it actually rot or is he just biting? Share photos?

Your tank needs 100% changes at least every 2nd day, even normally not just while he's sick. This includes cleaning the gravel. 1.5g is hard to keep clean. Your water change schedule is not enough and probably why he isn't healing up.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi brokencrown. I'm sorry about your guy. I'm curious, why did you start him on fungal tabs? If you can, go ahead and stop treatment with those as they won't really do him any good. Fin rot, if this is indeed fin rot, is a bacterial thing.

One way you can tell if it's fin rot is if the edges of the fins are blackened and the fins come off in huge chunks at a time. Often, you may see actual pieces of fin on the bottom of the tank. How long did it take for 1/4 of his tail to get eaten away?

2x a week is okay if you clean the substrate well and don't leave any uneaten food in the tank. I believe OFL says, based on her own experiments, that 1 50% and 1 100% a week is okay for tanks that are 1-1.5g in size. If you want to do more than that, that is okay too. :)

Continue with the Stress Coat. How long has he been in AQ salt? Don't keep him in that any longer than 10 days, 14 days absolute maximum. Keep the water warm around 80 F and try to feed lots of high protein frozen foods like bloodworms.

Let us know if you can post pics.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi brokencrown. I'm sorry about your guy. I'm curious, why did you start him on fungal tabs? If you can, go ahead and stop treatment with those as they won't really do him any good. Fin rot, if this is indeed fin rot, is a bacterial thing.

One way you can tell if it's fin rot is if the edges of the fins are blackened and the fins come off in huge chunks at a time. Often, you may see actual pieces of fin on the bottom of the tank. How long did it take for 1/4 of his tail to get eaten away?

2x a week is okay if you clean the substrate well and don't leave any uneaten food in the tank. I believe OFL says, based on her own experiments, that 1 50% and 1 100% a week is okay for tanks that are 1-1.5g in size. If you want to do more than that, that is okay too. :)

Continue with the Stress Coat. How long has he been in AQ salt? Don't keep him in that any longer than 10 days, 14 days absolute maximum. Keep the water warm around 80 F and try to feed lots of high protein frozen foods like bloodworms.

Let us know if you can post pics.
Hey, sorry for the late response. I did get pictures, and I'll post them asap. I used the fungal tabs because the lady at the petsmart i go to (who has experience with fish) said I should use them. It seems to go away right after I put the tabs in but then it comes back. His fins started shrinking within a month really. They are blackened, but I dont see any part of the fin. Usually when he's healthy I cleaned his water with a vacuum to get all the stuff from the rocks. He's been on AQ salt since i really started to treat it about 2 weeks ago.... but it isnt helping much.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #5 
xXbrokencrownXx

Its a pretty big chunk of his fin.... I want to fix it, hes such a pretty fish!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Okay, go ahead and get him off the AQ salt. He's been on it for 14 days and it doesn't appear to be helping. Keep up with the Stress Coat though. It doesn't look like a very severe case. Are you sure he isn't tailbiting? You may never actually see him bite 'cause they can be so fast about it. Also, let's see if we can rule out any external causes like sharp decor or stress. Does he have a hiding hole he can go in? Make sure the decor isn't sharp enough to snag his tail.

If you've ruled out all external causes, then let's see how he does on a high protein diet with lots of frozen foods and high heat at 80 F. Keep with the Stress Coat. If he doesn't show any signs of fin regrowth in a week, we'll move to a medication but I want to give him the best chance to fight this on his own. Too much medication can be bad so if we can avoid that, it would be best.

He's a handsome boy, I can see why you want to get that tail spiffed up again.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #7 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Okay, go ahead and get him off the AQ salt. He's been on it for 14 days and it doesn't appear to be helping. Keep up with the Stress Coat though. It doesn't look like a very severe case. Are you sure he isn't tailbiting? You may never actually see him bite 'cause they can be so fast about it. Also, let's see if we can rule out any external causes like sharp decor or stress. Does he have a hiding hole he can go in? Make sure the decor isn't sharp enough to snag his tail.

If you've ruled out all external causes, then let's see how he does on a high protein diet with lots of frozen foods and high heat at 80 F. Keep with the Stress Coat. If he doesn't show any signs of fin regrowth in a week, we'll move to a medication but I want to give him the best chance to fight this on his own. Too much medication can be bad so if we can avoid that, it would be best.

He's a handsome boy, I can see why you want to get that tail spiffed up again.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)
Ok :) ill stop AQ salt with tomorrows water change. I dont think its tailbiting because it started when his tail snagged on a squidward house I had with him (which is now gone). He now has a teacup! :) Ill get him some frozen food when i can, tuesdays are usually really hard for me to leave campus, and i dont think i could afford a heater right now... i'll definitely look into it. My room is usually really warm, and i keep it that way for my boy.

Thank you! He really surpised me when I found him in petco, I absoultely love him :) id be so sad if his tail got ruined like my last betta's :(
Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Yeah, a good heater is expensive, which is a bummer. :( You can try wrapping a towel around his tank to keep as much heat in as possible. I hope he can heal it up on his own but we'll definitely keep meds in mind.

Petco can get in some really lovely bettas. It's why I have to be very careful not to go to my Petco on the day they get new shipments in.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #9 
xXbrokencrownXx

Quote:
Yeah, a good heater is expensive, which is a bummer. :( You can try wrapping a towel around his tank to keep as much heat in as possible. I hope he can heal it up on his own but we'll definitely keep meds in mind.

Petco can get in some really lovely bettas. It's why I have to be very careful not to go to my Petco on the day they get new shipments in.
mmk sounds good :) I really hope he can!

I should seriously take note of shipment dates. I went to a petco last friday, and I almost came home with a purple marble plakat...I wonder if he's still there. He was BEAUTIFUL
Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #10 
Sakura8

*gets in car, drives to Sonoma Petco to get purple marble plakat* On the other hand, if I go in later during the week, I'm tempted to buy a few sick ones to nurse back to health. I should seriously just avoid the pet store all together, except I need cat food.