Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #1 
wishfull

How much Bloodworms do I feed?

I bought some Bloodworms today to treat by little babies ~<3

It was the Hikari type so they were dicvded into cells. Stupid me though that each cell would be enough for one fish and opened four of them. I quickly realised that between the four Betta I couldn't even finish 1 cell 0.0.

Actually after eating several worms one of my Bettas quickly became bloated D:
(the place I bought him in didn't have the best looking Bettas so I assume they fed him less there than the other places - 4 Betta = 3 different stores)
Shall fast him so that it goes down...

Anyway the crux of the matter is exactly how many Bloodworms should I feed my betta if I feed them twice in a day?
wishfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #2 
JKfish

Frozen bloodworms are a great meal or treat for bettas. Personally, I think it depends on the betta and his or her size. One of my sibling's smaller betta can only take about 3 whole sized worms before he starts to show a little food baby buldge. My biggest betta can take about five before his belly starts to show.

I like to alternate bloodworms and pellets, or sometimes feed one pellet and two or three worms, just for variety. Since feeding ammounts vary due to different sizes, just feed until you notice their bellies are showing slightly.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Bloodworms should only be fed as a treat once or twice a week. Pellets should be used as a staple food. I feed my guys 1-3 bloodworms in a sitting. It really depends on the size of the fish. I have one large boy who can eat 3 easy, but my youngest will usually only eat one.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Bloodworms should only be fed as a treat once or twice a week. Pellets should be used as a staple food. I feed my guys 1-3 bloodworms in a sitting. It really depends on the size of the fish. I have one large boy who can eat 3 easy, but my youngest will usually only eat one.
Frozen and live blood worms are fine to feed as a staple meal.

Freeze-dried blood worms are the treat .. and should only be fed once or twice a week.

@op .. i feed my bettas that are being conditioned 3-4 frozen worms each meal (1-2 if they are not being conditioned), depending on the size of the worm. since some are fat and round and some are long and skinny. use your best judgement in regards to the size of your betta. a betta's stomach is roughly the size of it's eye. just try to like roll the worm into a ball to see how big it actually is in comparison to your bettas eye. =)

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 02-05-2012 at 02:36 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #5 
scootshoot

Choice is yours.....

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Bloodworm

Blood worm (Chironomidae [Ky-ro-nomi-day] tetans) is the larvae of the midge fly. It is a small (3 cm [1.2"]), long, thin, bright red larvae which grows in stagnant pools.

Nutrients
  • 6-8% protein and iron rich. However, it doesn't have a wide range of amino acids, so do not feed as a primary food supply.
  • Give it as a treat once or twice per week.
  • Not recommended as a single source of food due to its very low protein levels.
Watch out for sales gimmicks
With some low quality frozen bloodworm the suppliers will add in their ingredient list extra vitamins so the food looks more nutritious. This can be a sales gimmick rather than any benefit to your fish. These vitamins are usually added in the water they are frozen with and these will break down in minutes when exposed to the aquarium. You can often tell if your supplier does this by examining the ingredients list. If the list has the vitamins in brackets i.e. 'Blood worms (vitamin B12, C)' then these are inside the worm. If the items are listed after the blood worm with a comma then they're in the water.

Last edited by scootshoot; 02-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

i said .. "as a staple meal" .. not as the ONLY staple meal .. why do people not read what's there?

i'd rather feed what's naturally found in their environment .. instead of some man made pellet that's fortified with god knows what chemicals/vitimans that are in it .. sure i feed pellets .. but not ONLY pellets .. just like you shouldn't ONLY feed blood worms

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 02-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #7 
wishfull

Thanks guys for all you advice!
Btw HatsuneMiku I love your preeety white Betta D8

As I said I plan to use the Bloodworms as treats one or twice a week for my littlies.

Less messier that way and in the mornings I gotta run for work so pellets it is!

Glad I asked for advice, the first time I feed them worms was waaaay over the suggestion given! I think I feed between 5-7 worms each.. luckily only the one got bloated and is back to normal again. (the others seems really happy though XD <-- did fast them all for a day afterwards and they kept pouting at me!).

I'm not that worried about the quality of the worms as they are a Hikari brand (and the store had really super happy Bettas).

However I am a bit concerned over my HM Betta! after placing in the worms he chocked them back up..so I cut them in half he seemed to cautiously eat it then...But now he is not eating anything! He is also not as active like usual but still swimming to and fro, is it the food? I didn't think so because all the other fish are kept under the same condition and seem fine...

Any advice guys?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #8 
JKfish

If you're hm a new boy? Sometimes bettas can be picky little hogs, especially if they are new and not used to the food you feed. If he isn't eating, just offer food to him every day and remove it it isn't eaten. It might help to presoak your pellets in garlic juice, seeing as garlic juice can increase their appetite and entice them to eat.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #9 
wishfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
If you're hm a new boy? Sometimes bettas can be picky little hogs, especially if they are new and not used to the food you feed. If he isn't eating, just offer food to him every day and remove it it isn't eaten. It might help to presoak your pellets in garlic juice, seeing as garlic juice can increase their appetite and entice them to eat.
Pretty old now (couple months) and he used to love the pellets!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #10 
JKfish

Hmmm, that's a bit odd. Is he pale or stressed at all?

Tags
blood worms, feed