Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #11 
HatsuneMiku

thanks =)

i do believe the hikari brand frozen bloodworms are smaller sized worms vs. san francisco bay brand and live worms (though i think the san fancisco bay has come out with mini blood worms in smaller cube portions but i haven't seen any around me only found them online .. and i don't know about shipping frozen food to me .. lol i'd be too worried they would be melted) so 5 should be more then enough .. 7 might be a little too much ..

what helps me save time when feeding is that once a week i'll take a row of cubes and i'll pre-cut each cube into 4 pieces .. then wrap the pre-cut pieces in foil a little separated from each other so they don't freeze and get stuck back together and fold it into a little rectangle so that each cube (4 pieces now) has their own foil pouch .. it saves a lot of time during the week .. especially since my bettas that are in conditioning period are being fed 3 times a day (every 8 hours) with 2 blood worm (one live .. one frozen) meals and 1 pellet meal .. my other bettas are fed twice a day (every 12 hours) one blood worm meal (frozen) and one pellet meal .. they digest very well with this feeding schedule i usually siphon poop 2 hrs after feeding (bare bottom tanks) .. never had a problem with them bloating or having a food belly on this feeding schedule ..

one of my girls always spits up her food after eating it .. but she ends up going after it again after spitting it up .. she's the smallest that i have so .. i think she just always bites off more then she can chew .. her mouth is so small but she insists on trying to eat the whole worm each time lol =D .. i imagine that's the same for your boy .. but if he is truly ignoring the worms .. try feeding him one worm at a time (i use a plastic coffee stir thing from starbucks and i'll wiggle a worm above the water before i put them in) .. or make sure they are completely defrosted .. sometimes even if they have separated from the cube .. the inside of the worm is still cold and maybe he prefers warmer food =) .. i pre-melt my cubes in warm tank water in a plastic cup for 2-3 mins before feeding to make sure it's completely melted .. i never drop a cube into the tank because i worry about how many worms are in the cube and i don't want to take the risk of overfeeding .. and i think that scooping out uneaten worms would be kinda gross lol
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #12 
wishfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Hmmm, that's a bit odd. Is he pale or stressed at all?
A bit listless and maybe a bit skittish (maybe I just scared him because Was adjusting the plants while he was still in it...). But he doesn't seem paler or stressed....
wishfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #13 
JKfish

Try dimming the lights and leaving him be until the next time you have to feed him. He might simply have been scared like you said. When you go to turn the lights back on and feed him, try and turn on surrounding ones and opening shades to that the change from dark to light doesn't shock him.

Once I scared one of my bettas pretty badly when I tripped and slammed down almost on top of his tank. He acted like that for almost a day before deciding he was hungry and actually wanted to eat.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #14 
wishfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
thanks =)

i do believe the hikari brand frozen bloodworms are smaller sized worms vs. san francisco bay brand and live worms (though i think the san fancisco bay has come out with mini blood worms in smaller cube portions but i haven't seen any around me only found them online .. and i don't know about shipping frozen food to me .. lol i'd be too worried they would be melted) so 5 should be more then enough .. 7 might be a little too much ..

I mever drop a cube into the tank because i worry about how many worms are in the cube and i don't want to take the risk of overfeeding .. and i think that scooping out uneaten worms would be kinda gross lol
Ahh thanks that some awesome advice! Shall make prep this weekend for next week.
Lols am aware I put too much worms in XD
And I agree fishing out worms is Pretty gross (had to do that myself X(
Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #15 
wishfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Try dimming the lights and leaving him be until the next time you have to feed him. He might simply have been scared like you said. When you go to turn the lights back on and feed him, try and turn on surrounding ones and opening shades to that the change from dark to light doesn't shock him.

Once I scared one of my bettas pretty badly when I tripped and slammed down almost on top of his tank. He acted like that for almost a day before deciding he was hungry and actually wanted to eat.
Lols well whatever happened to Wasabi he was all fine when I came home last night (even made me a nice little nest XD)

And where I keep the fishes (dinning room) is a naturallty a dim room during the day since I heard too much light might stress them out :)

Tags
blood worms, feed