Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #11 
GunsABlazin

i just added a little CT girl to my group a few weeks ago, and she is the ONLY one who stripes. My Purple Comb-Tail used to be the one who was always stripey, but now its the little black and red CT lol.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #12 
ajhammer

So the original 3 were removed and I rearranged my entire tank. I purchased 4 more girls, slowly replaced their water with the tank water and floated them all in the tank for 1hr just to avoid any stress with temp change.

I released them one after the other and WOW... I thought Isobel was aggressive?!?! One of the newbies was down right insane! She would swim underneath the other girls and push them up, non stopped flared, chased, bit, etc... She actively pursued them all, including Isobel. Isobel and her went round at round, taking turns taking nips.. it was extremely uncomfortable to watch. I removed the aggressive newbie after only 5 minutes. She flares at even the site of my fingers when I try to feed her! I'm strangely attached to her but avoided giving her a name as hubby won't let me keep her (would involve buying/putting together another set-up.) Le sigh...

Isobel has also been removed as she would not stop biting, either. Both the aggressors will be returned and until them will stay in their cups.

So I'm left with a Sorority of 5. Sparkle and It Zwibble, my originals, Isobel (#2, but my 2 year old doesn't realize), Flower and Baby (who I just call Little Red). They are all getting a long quite well. There is an occasional flare and a chase but no thrashing of tails or nipping. I think they are too busy exploring their new digs. It's really cute to see them hanging out in the different spots I made for them or resting in plants.

I have to admit that I have gotten up several times during the night to "count," but I realize that I'm probably stressing them out by turning the tank light on and off.

Do you ever feel at ease with a sorority?

Last edited by ajhammer; 02-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
ajhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #13 
GunsABlazin

You can still have the aggressive ones join.

Place them in a cup or net they can see through, and float them in the tank. After about a week or so, you can try re-introducing them. If they are still aggressive, repeat.
The fact that they can SEE the other girls, but cant attack them, sometimes stops the aggression. Iv had to do this with a couple girls.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #14 
ajhammer

Thanks Guns! Is it possible to over stress them? Say... they are just flaring non stop... is this a health issue?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #15 
MistersMom

the more females the merrier
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #16 
GunsABlazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhammer View Post
Thanks Guns! Is it possible to over stress them? Say... they are just flaring non stop... is this a health issue?
Well they wont be able to just flair at one fish, they will likely get a group built up around them, and no matter how much they flair, the group should remain mostly unaffected. After time they should stop flaring. They may get a little stressed, but feed them well and keep the water clean and they will get over it.

Also, with this method, DO NOT re-arrange the tank decor or remove the other girls when you put the aggressive ones back in. That will allow them to get aggressive again. Leaving it as it is will put them on the defense.

Last edited by GunsABlazin; 02-07-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #17 
ajhammer

*sighs* This is a lot more difficult than I thought. Seems like every time I turn around someone's tail is not intact. I removed 2 this morning because their tails looked like they had been shredded! I'm going to take care of them in their cups. I can't believe the damage to these poor girls.

I feel like a terrible mother and may just give them up.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #18 
GunsABlazin

Dont give up, the sorority may end up with some shredded tails.
Its bound to happen. My girls have been together for months, and at times they still bicker and rip a tail or two.As long as the water is kept clean, and they eat will, the tails will regrow without problem. What you need to worry about is if you end up with body bites.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah it's normal that not every female is going to have perfectly intact fins in a sorority. Some of mine still nip each other every now and then, and they've been living together for almost a year.

Bettas are an aggressive species and are never going to live together peacefully 100% of the time.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #20 
GunsABlazin

exaclty, just like women in the human world, they bicker sometimes.