Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
ravensgate

Did I just screw up? Soaked pellet in tap water:(

I'm an idiot. I decided to try soaking a pellet to see if my new fish would be more likely to eat it. Well he loved it. The problem is I soaked it in tap water. If it's any consolation the tank just got it's stress coat yesterday (new system) if that means anything. And it was stuck to my finger for a good time so I probably squeegeed the water out by the time it got to him. But of course, now I'm freaking out. I soaked him another in dechlorinated water and he gobbled that up. Please tell me I didn't just hurt my fish with a tap water soaked pellet. I JUST decided to get back into this after being fishless for years and I just feel like a complete noob all over again
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 
Bambi

one tap water pellet won't kill him if thats what you're asking. I usually just scoop a little tank water out to soak the pellets in(if i soak them at all, i use a soad a bottle cap.xD)
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 
ravensgate

Yes, that's what I'm asking! THANK YOU for calming my nerves. HAHA, this was supposed to be RELAXING to get back into fish. Whew, thank you for the quick response:)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 
HermitGuy101

Luckily those pellets are made for bettas and are basically ok if a betta decides to nibble.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #5 
ravensgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitGuy101 View Post
Luckily those pellets are made for bettas and are basically ok if a betta decides to nibble.
No I was asking if a betta ate a tap water soaked pellet if that would hurt him. I know the pellet won't just wasn't sure about any possibly digested chlorine
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #6 
HermitGuy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
No I was asking if a betta ate a tap water soaked pellet if that would hurt him. I know the pellet won't just wasn't sure about any possibly digested chlorine
Oh, no that shouldn't hurt him. However that does depend on the chlorine concentration in the water in your area as they do vary from different locations. If you're questioning it, go ahead and test the water quality.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #7 
Myates

I would cut the pellets in half rather then soak in water, if that is why you are soaking them (them being too large), as pellets/flakes start to break down and lose nutrients the moment they hit the water.
You could also try soaking them in a bit of garlic water for a moment before feeding (careful, garlic sticky!).. but the garlic is healthy for them, stimulates hunger and will soften up the pellets a bit.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #8 
ravensgate

Thank you for the tip! He seems to be doing fine today...actually building a bubblenest after only two days here. Guess that's a good sign. I'm going to get the Hikari baby pellets for him this week since I heard those are smaller and they seem to do well on them. But I wouldn't have thought about cutting the pellets. That should be a fun trick. I guess if they crumble when I try to cut them that's fine too.