Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #1 
freemike

In fish cycle?

Yes I screwed up and thought my tank was safe because this test kit showed everything normal. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jungle-5-N...ndingMethod=rr I'm not very familiar with this tank cycling please forgive me. I have introduced my Bettas to soon into the 10 gallon tanks I have. They have been treated with Start Right and Start Zyme by Jungle. So being 10 gallon tanks how often and how much do I need to change the water? I'm also picking up this test kit http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lickid=prod_cs and this ammonia "remover" http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147141 today. I know the remover only neutralizes the ammonia and will still show on the test. I was going to monitor the ammonia levels daily and only use it when it spiked to unsafe levels for my Bettas. If I use it will the tank still cycle? I feel so bad and stupid at the same time so please no bashing I'm just trying to fix this with as little discomfort to the fish as possible. Are there any "recommended" products over the ones I picked out?

Last edited by freemike; 02-05-2012 at 02:11 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Rather than the ammonia remover, try and get hold of Prime, by Seachem. It also destoxifies nitrites and nitrates, both of which will spike during the cycle. Live plants will also help. :) If you can, get some fast-growing ones like lacefern, wisteria, hornwort and anacharis. Duckweed is also great during the cycle, though you may get sick of it further down the track. Bettas seem to love it, though.
I would personally do a 10% change daily, or two-three 25% changes a week. Bear in mind that a single betta in a ten gallon tank is not producing a huge amount of ammonia. Just keeping an eye on the levels will be your best indication as to when to do the changes.

Definitely no bashing. :) You did research and got those guys from sharing a 1/2 gallon to a full ten gallons each. So many people fail to do any research, or can't be bothered to provide what their fish need, so massive kudos to you. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 
Hanky

youre in kind of a catch 22, since you dont want ammonia yet it is needed to get the whole cycling thing going, best test kit I can recommend is API master test, it seems pricey but when you consider how many tests you get out of it its actually the cheapest and most accurate, Did you research how cycling works? You need small amounts of ammonia to turn into nitrites which will inturn turn into less dangerous nitrates. Keep an eye on ammonia and try not to let it get over 1 ppm keep changing water to keep it in check.
All I use in my tanks is seachem prime, try not to add too many chemicals since they will throw off your testing.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In the 10gal-what kind of filter and any live plants-what is the stocking currently and planned finial stocking....what are the water pram numbers now for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH on both the tank and the source water and water temp on the tank.....

How long has the tank been setup and running with livestock.
Have you cleaned and/or changed the filter media
What kind of water changes and vacuuming have you done so far

How are the fish acting now...any problems or behavior changes....

IMO- the cycling products are a waste of time and money-you can safely establish the nitrogen cycle with the fish provided that you are willing and able to make the needed water changes..

The ammonia neutralizer change the ammonia to ammonium and the test products can't tell the difference, however, the ammonium can still be used by the beneficial bacteria for the cycling process...

To cycle the 10gal filtered tank with a single Betta without live plants and with a test kit on hand....

Water changes of 50% weekly with vacuum in all places that can be reached without moving anything-This is the water change you will need to do for the life of the system to maintain water quality.

Filter media need a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month-start this in week 5-6.

Test water daily and make a 50% water only based on ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater until you have nitrate 5-10ppm without any ammonia, nitrite spikes-this can take about 4-8 weeks...remembering that some additives can cause false readings-watch the Bettas behavior.....

Can you post pics....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-05-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 
Hanky

Like Bombalurina says do small water changes every day rather than 1 big one per week, its less stressful on the fish. treat the new water with the seachem prime and try to get water temp as close as possible to tank water. dont vacum any gracel yet you want bacteria to build up down there,
Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #6 
freemike

The tank has been set up with the fish for 48 hours. I used prime to treat the tank tonight an did 10% water cycle. I bought the master API freshwater liquid test kit from petco. I had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates in the tank tonight. Also the water in my tank is looking merky so I added tetra waterclarifier. It's a whisper 2-10i whisper filter (80GPH). Seems low enough and doesn't pull at the beta and I got him a floating log and he slept in it last night. There is no live plants.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #7 
Hanky

looking good, Just a FYI its not at all uncommon to have cloudy water for a few days when you first fill it up. its just that everything is so new and clean once you get the biological part of the filter growing you wont see murky water. water clarifiers aren't really needed, next time try to let it clear up by itself a few days.
This is only because I personally use as little chemicals in the water as possible but sounds like your do good so far.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #8 
freemike

Yeah Joe (my blue fish) has really turned around so far in his new tank I was really worried he wasn't going to come around die. Though since he has been moved he is using all 10 gallons quite well lol and alot more active/inquisitive about his environment.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #9 
Hanky

its amazing, so many people see these bettas in little tanks or bowls and think WOW they're easy to care for and require nothing but a bowl.
then you take em home give them a nice big tank and some heat and you got a totally different fish.